Tip: How To Copy and Paste in Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for the Samsung Galaxy S II

Posted on May 9 2012 - 2:28pm by Brian

Copy and paste has been a hallmark of the digital technology age, forever freeing us from the chains of retyping oppression. The functionality of copy and paste is different in all of its various manifestations and its upgrade on the Galaxy S II is no different. At first I was slightly confused as the copy paste interface was altered but rest assured, it’s better than ever.

Select, Copy & Paste

To copy and paste, you must first select an area of text. You can accomplish this by longpressing text content-this will prompt a blue highlight box to appear with two trapezoidal markers you can drag to select which part of the text you want. At the same time, a bar will appear at the top with the following icons:

The three main buttons allow you to select all, copy and share your selection. If you have en editable text field, you can also cut and paste the content. The share button allows you to quickly share your exceprt via a variety of apps including mail and Facebook.

Pasting & the Clipboard

Now that we have successfully copied an image to the clipboard, we can begin pasting! Simply longpress an empty input area and select “paste” to paste the latest selection, or “clipboard” to choose which copied item you would like paste.

When in the clipboard menu, you can scroll through all of the items you have stored on the clipboard; this may include pictures, which are greyed out when attempting to post into a text field. You can paste items on the clipboard by tapping them and you can delete items by long pressing them and confirming their deletion.

So there you have it, at first glance it might be a little bit difficult to recognize that the text edit toolbar has been moved to the top of the screen, but now that keeps it from blocking the text you are attempting to edit. The clipboard function is also very nice as you don’t have to worry about overiding a selection.

For more helpful hints, check out our Galaxy S II Tip Archives.

1. hassan jutt August 3, 2013 at 7:46 am -

hi iam hasan jutt if you have sumsung glaxy then call me my number is 03457689078 ok by…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

2. asim jutt August 2, 2013 at 8:33 pm -

hello please

3. asim jutt August 2, 2013 at 8:31 pm -

agar kise ka pass glaxy s3 ke copy ha tu is number par call kara 03245634282 ya facebook id join kara juttasim123@gmail.com

4. Dwayne November 30, 2012 at 9:51 pm -

when i click on a text window in Facebook it brings up EVERY damned previous entry i have ever typed… i cannot delete these previous entries and i have never had this problem on previous DROID devices until now on the 4. How can i kill this annoying feature? the window expands and blocks the entire screen… completely unacceptable!

5. csncdz October 28, 2012 at 5:58 pm -

i upgrade my GT-I9108 (Galaxy S II) to 4.0.4 .
    and i found that in cellphone, txtmsg and some other original program, the clipboards work ok, but in some app i download , such as wechat, qq, when i press and hold in the input box, the system show only a “Paste” button, and i can only paste the last copy text.

6. nat October 27, 2012 at 9:27 pm -

Hello, I have samsung galaxy s2. My issue with this cell is that, you can only copy & paste if you are in the desktop mode on websites. But if you are in mobile mode on websites, you cannot copy. For instance, if I want to copy from mobile facebook (m.facebook.com), it cannot be done. However, if I go to desktop view instead (www.facebook.com), I can then copy. I find this extremely annoying that have to go back & forth from mobile view to desktop mode to be able to copy and paste. It wastes alot of time to be able to accomplish such feature. Why was this made like this? When I had the tmobile mytouch cell, this was not an issue. I was able to copy and paste straight from mobile view. This ice cream sandwich program should be upgraded to allow our cells to copy straight from mobile view.

7. nat October 27, 2012 at 9:25 pm -

Hello, I have samsung galaxy s2. My issue with this cell is that, you can only copy & paste if you are in the desktop mode on websites. But if you are in mobile mode on websites, you cannot copy. For instance, if I want to copy from mobile facebook (m.facebook.com), it cannot be done. However, if I go to desktop view instead (www.facebook.com), I can then copy. I find this extremely annoying that have to go back & forth from mobile view to desktop mode to be able to copy and paste. It wastes alot of time to be able to accomplish such feature. Why was this made like this? When I had the tmobile mytouch ell, this was not an issue. I was able to copy and paste straight from mobile view. This ice cream sandwich program should be upgraded to allow our cells to copy straight from mobile view.

8. Myra August 24, 2012 at 1:04 am -

Hi! This article is helpful but how do you copy a text you made in a Message? I am using Galaxy S2 w/ ICS. I only see the Paste & Clipboard options in the Message. Copy is available in browers though.

Thanks!

9. Kriistin August 22, 2012 at 1:20 pm -

How can you copy an image now on the Android 4 w/the Ice Cream Sandwhich 4.0 system?

10. nouhad eter August 19, 2012 at 5:18 pm -

is there any of the select copy and paste options in fcb app on samsung galaxy 3s?

11. nouhad eter August 19, 2012 at 5:16 pm -

please i want to know how to select copy and paste status in facebook on the new samsung galaxy 3s!!! i really love this model and iam thinking of getting one but what is stopping me is this problem for i heard that there are no such options in fcb app on this phone…thanks

12. Brian August 8, 2012 at 11:13 am -

Hi Patrice,

What version of Android is your Galaxy S II?

13. Patrice Mitsos August 8, 2012 at 11:10 am -

This was a helpful hint. HOWEVER, my phone (a Samsung Galaxy IIS) does not have the Share icon that you show above. It only has the Select All, Cut, and Copy icons. Also, it as the “Create an Event’ icon, but I don’t know what that is used for.
    How do I obtain the Share function?