How To: Add custom notifications and ringtones on your Samsung Galaxy Note

Posted on Mar 7 2012 - 12:35pm by Brian

Thanks to Graham Kellighan who commented on our Galaxy Note Tip Collection for this article idea. For many first time users, it is not clear how you can add your own custom ringtones to your shiny new note, but for us hardened Samsung Galaxy veterans, we just simply have to think back to how we did this on the Galaxy S devices.

1. The first step to adding custom notifications and ringtones must be done on our computers. First, making sure your phone is not on debug mode (Menu > Settings  > Applications > Development > Debugg off), connect your Note to your computer via USB and navigate to the Notifications folder:

1. My Computer > SGH-I717
  2. Choose the Note’s Phone memory
  3. Select the Media folder
  4. Select the Audio folder
  5. Select the Notifications folder
  6. Drag and drop your notification files into this folder

2. Now onto the Note–fire up Menu > Settings> Sounds

3. Select Notification ringtone and your newly placed notifications should appear on the selection list

To add your own custom ringtones, simply create a new folder and name it “Ringtones,” and place it in your Note’s directory like so: Media/Audio/Ringtones.

For more useful guides, check out our Galaxy Note Tip Collection.

1. วอร์ซี August 16, 2014 at 3:19 am -

Thanks for any other informative site. Where else could I get
    that kind of info written in such an ideal method? I’ve a undertaking that I’m simply now running on, and I’ve been on the glance out
    for such information.

2. Private SEO June 28, 2014 at 7:00 am -

When I initially commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new
    comments are added- checkbox and now every time a comment is
    added I receive 4 emails with the exact same comment.

Is there a way you can remove me from that
    service? Many thanks!

3. Scott Walden March 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm -

Will this work for the Galaxy S5?

4. Cherylac July 22, 2012 at 4:12 pm -

PS: No USB cable required!

5. Cherylac July 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm -

Works great–but if you are for instance trying to turn a recording you made with the Voice Recorder application into your ringtone, there is a simpler way to do it:

Open Applications>My Files>media>audio (last step here is clicking on “audio”).
    Use your bottom left Menu button for options, select Create Folder; name it Ringtones.
    Now click on the Home option that’s at the top (don’t use the bottom Home button).
    Select Sounds.
    Use the Menu button, select More and then Move, then choose the relevant recording(s) and hit Move again.
    Select media>audio<Ringtones (click on "Ringtones"), then Move here (or Cancel if you made a mistake).
    Now use the bottom Home button and select Sounds from your Settings application (as in Step 2 above), but change your Phone ringtone instead of your Notification ringtone. Voila!