How To: Turn off Camera Shutter Sound on Samsung Galaxy S II

Posted on Mar 2 2012 - 3:12pm by Brian

Hello Galaxy S II users! You know that cool sound that cameras make when the shutter opens and closes? Not so cool when you are stealthily trying to take pictures while on the job as a super spy. Or just taking a picture of that weird looking dude across the way. Here is how you can disable the shutter sound!

1. Hit Menu > Settings > Sound

2. Now select Volume and decrease system volume to 0.

3. Now you can silently snap pictures! If this didn’t work, make sure you have the latest update of the firmware which you can grab via Kies.

For more tips, check out our Galaxy S II Tip Collection!

1. dianabol reviews July 24, 2014 at 8:56 pm -

I blog often and I truly appreciate your content. The article has really peaked my interest.
    I’m going to bookmark your site and keep checking for
    new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed too.

2. free dating sites June 24, 2014 at 7:01 am -

What’s uup to every body, it’s mmy first go to see of this website;
    this wwbpage contains amazing andd really excellent dqta for readers.

3. garage door doctor June 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm -

you’re in point of fact a good webmaster. The site loading
    velocity is amazing. It seems that you’re doing any distinctive
    trick. Furthermore, The contents are masterwork.

you’ve done a great task on this topic!

4. amherstce.com June 20, 2014 at 6:33 am -

Thhis info is invaluable. Where can I find out more?

5. www.afrosomething.com June 13, 2014 at 10:09 am -

Hey there! I’m at work surfing around your blog
    from my new apple iphone! Just wanted to say I love
    reading your blog and look forward to all your posts!
    Keep up the superb work!

6. Unique Products June 11, 2014 at 1:40 pm -

If some one desires to be updated with hottest technologies therefore he must bee go to see this site and
    be up to date everyday.

7. Barry May 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm -

What a material of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable knowledge about unexpected emotions.

8. Carman February 14, 2013 at 6:22 pm -

Nothing worked. Is there no update that will fix this? My Galaxy S I didn’t have this problem. Why on earth would the S II be less user-friendly than S I? If a solution exists, I would soooo like to know it!

9. Freddy February 1, 2013 at 8:40 am -

Didn’t work, as everyone already knows. Why is Samsung so stupid? The Galaxy S1900 did have an option to permanently switch the shutter sound off. Why did they take that out?

10. Hippynz January 10, 2013 at 2:02 am -

what a load of rubbish . muting system sounds does nothing, and no settting ing camera

11. Maria December 10, 2012 at 4:18 pm -

sorry peeps! nada nothing zilch! neither worked!!!

12. jen December 7, 2012 at 5:11 am -

Open your camera the top left corner you will see settings click scroll down till you see shutter tone click off hope this helps i just figure it out. ( galaxy S2 )

13. Kristina November 30, 2012 at 10:57 am -

THIS DID NOT WORK YOU GUYS DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. frank October 6, 2012 at 4:24 am -

It’s all very simple. When you plan to go baby or up-skirt photo-ing just stick a bit of blue tac in the micro!!!!

15. Suhas Das September 22, 2012 at 12:32 am -

How to Disable Camera Sound in Samsung Galaxy S2

To use this method you need to create an empty file named local.prop and add a line ro.camera.sound.forced = 0 into it.
    You can do this in notepad from your computer and simply paste the code given below into it i.e
    ro.camera.sound.forced = 0
    Now you need to save the file as local.prop and please don’t save it as local.prop.txt. (may people with whom I shared this trick did this mistake)
    Now simply transfer this file to your galaxy s2 phone to the location /data/.
    Simply reboot your phone put your phone on silent mode and now if you click a picture using your phone there will be no shutter sound to disturb you.
    To restore the sound simply delete the file and reboot your phone.

16. Vinod September 14, 2012 at 5:36 am -

I have the Tmobile version (SGH T989) of Galaxy S II. It maybe different than other models.

17. Akshara September 14, 2012 at 12:54 am -

I really do not understand how come my phone (ICS 4.0.3 on GT-I9100) do not make any sound during silent mode but othera do.

How come Vinod has a shortcut option in camera settings to turn off shutter sound and mine does not.

18. Trick one September 13, 2012 at 5:54 pm -

better than nothing….
    No.1 …. hold with your finger tip on speaker..
    It is very quite. It is hard to notice shutter sound…
    No.2…..use soft thick tape cover on speaker
    No.3…..open up and disconnect speaker
    good luck !!!

19. Vinod September 13, 2012 at 11:39 am -

I wish I could post a screen shot of my camera settings.here

20. carly September 13, 2012 at 10:50 am -

super annoying when you just want to take like 50 selfies when you’re bored somewhere…wish people didn’t have to know that’s what I do when I’m bored, but now they do thanks to the shutter sound…

21. Chrissie September 11, 2012 at 6:21 am -

Doesn’t work. None of the comments helped me stoke it either…

22. Jaylen August 28, 2012 at 4:26 pm -

Did not work! :( New solution please.

23. nat August 17, 2012 at 8:55 pm -

Instructions given by author didnt work at all. Also, settings in camera, edit shortcut, there is no camera sound looking icon either

24. Akshara Kumar August 2, 2012 at 2:03 am -

Hi All,

1. Settings > Volume > Mute system sound = Not working.
    2. Camera > Settings > Edit Shortcuts = No option as shutter sound

But,

Keeping phone either in Vibrate mode or Silent mode = No shutter sound :-) hurrayyyy…..

Samsung Galaxy SII (GT-I9100)
    ICS 4.0.3

25. Vinod July 31, 2012 at 7:56 pm -

When I said “Settings” I am talking about the settings on the actual camera app(on the top left side when you holding the phone upright) not the phone settings menu.

26. Vinod July 31, 2012 at 7:52 pm -

If you have a tmobile galaxy s2 with ICS. All you have to do is this: open your camera app, click on settings and scroll down to see if shutter sound is listed, if not click on edit shortcut and you will see shutter sound (kinda looks like a camera lense with a volume icon). Once you see it, you just have to drag it to the top of your screen which will add shutter sounds to the short cut. Once it is in the short cut you can click on it and it will you give you option to on or off.

27. Al July 18, 2012 at 12:37 am -

Updated also today and all my settings were changed and new apps I don’t want were put on. Come on, really going to mess up a good thing? Please fix this last update soon. Also I cant SEND PICS AT ALL. I can receive but cant send anything out. I tried with 12 people, all the same.

28. msinram July 16, 2012 at 12:18 pm -

won’t work for me. a new update was just installed this morning.

29. Shaney July 15, 2012 at 9:55 am -

It worked for me! Happy days…

30. chandrahas July 7, 2012 at 2:36 am -

@Vikrant its working .. .. is der any other solutions please let me knw …
    also I’m facing problem in WiFi (Galaxy S2 ICS 4.0.3 ) its connecting but not able to browse . Please help me to solve the issue .

31. Danyelle June 27, 2012 at 7:09 pm -

It did not work ! & The Kies tip didn’t work either!

32. Vikrant June 20, 2012 at 1:55 am -

Hi,
    My 12 yrs son solved this problem it is very simple when u want to mute camera shutter sound just make ur phone to silent mode the credit goes to master NAKSHAM MALHOTRA (12 YEARS).
    VIKRANT MALHOTRA.

33. Vikrant June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm -

It is not working plz give another idea.

34. Andy June 8, 2012 at 7:54 am -

Doesn’t work.

35. Patricia Low June 4, 2012 at 10:39 pm -

it doesn’t work cuz this is not applicable to Ice Cream Sandwich version!
    Anyone got solutions for Ice Cream Sandwich?

36. Lachezar Georgiev May 22, 2012 at 6:47 am -

It doesn`t work I tried it but still that stupid sound is there

37. ashley perales May 1, 2012 at 6:20 am -

this didnt even work at all dumb!!!!

38. Roger April 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm -

Terrible. This did nothing.

39. Graeme April 9, 2012 at 2:08 am -

Yeah… maybe you need to try it before posting this stuff. Most of your advice is pretty sound, but on this one you are way off the mark. There’s a lot of information out there about the inability to turn of the shutter sound on the Galaxy SII in Australia (and some other countries), and a lot of iffy suggestions about using rooted options &etc. We just want to turn off that bloody annoying click_shutter sound. Please, come up with something that’ll do it, and works.

40. Justin March 27, 2012 at 5:03 am -