Don’t you hate it when technology doesn’t work? Although Kies is a nifty little piece of software that has been getting me through all my syncing needs for quite some time now, we get hundreds of reports a month stating how users are having issues. There are some obvious fixes (Turning off debug mode: Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Debug Off), there are some not so subtle ones as well.
Now here is a puzzling problem: you’ve installed Kies, your phone is up to date, your USB cable is fine, your computer is fine (as far as you can tell), but Kies still refuses to see your phone. Well first things first, if you are getting any false positives with your phone being seen in mass storage mode, make sure to turn off debug mode as mentioned before, and then unmount your external SD card and remove it from your phone. This can be done by going to Menu > Settings > Storage > Unmount SD card:
If that doesn’t fix the problem, try using the default Samsung TouchWiz launcher–read this to learn how to clear your default launcher and choose a new one.
Still busted? Are you using Windows XP Pro?
- Make sure your Windows is up to date, and you have downloaded the latest Kies version.
- Go to Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs
- Uninstall the Samsung drivers that were installed with Kies, but do not uninstall Kies
- Making sure debug mode is still off, connect your phone to your computer, it may prompt you to eneter mass storage mode
- XP should recognize the phone as new hardware–go to Start > Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers > [Your Samsung phone will be connected to one of these] click on it > Select “Drivers” tab and choose “Install Drivers” automatically
- This should install the correct drivers. If there are any remaining devices or objects with the yellow triangle + !, install the drivers on these as well
- Unplug your phone, reconnect it, and this time select Kies mode (if it doesn’t automatically get recognized)
Congratulations! You should now be able to connect to Kies. If you have any questions or comments, let us know below!