How To: Backup and Restore your Galaxy S II Contacts, Texts, and Photos using Kies

Posted on Jan 20 2012 - 7:00pm by Brian

We’ve done plenty an article on Samsung’s very own Kies syncing software, but we haven’t quite shown you the low down on how you can use its built in backup and restore feature.

It’s really quite simple–Kies has a built in backup and restore function that allows you to save your:

• Contacts
  • Schedule
  • To do
  • Messages
  • Memo
  • Mini diary
  • Call log
  • Music
  • Photos
  • Videos
  • Miscellaneous content files
  • Preferences and ringtones
  • Network settings an bookmarks
  • Email account information

1. First off, you need to download Samsung’s Kies Software.

2. Next, make sure you have debug mode off (Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Uncheck  Debug)

3. Now you can connect your Galaxy S II to your computer–select the “Back up/Restore” tab. Select the items you would like to backup:

3. Now hit the “Back up” button:

4. Now your files should be backed up to the directory shown in the first screen shot. You can change the default location by going to Tools > Preferences > Folder Location > Edit

5. You can access the restore function by scrolling down in the Back up/Restore section and hitting “Restore.”

6. Now you can choose which backup file to use, and which portions of content you would like to restore:

7. Now that your phone’s precious data is safe and sound, you can put your mind at ease!

For more Galaxy S II tips and how tos, check out our archive.

1. the best way to backup your computer April 18, 2014 at 3:58 pm -

Pretty! This has been an extremely wonderful article.

Many thanks for providing this information.

2. Maavalous May 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm -

Kies is a piece of JUNK. It loads drivers that disable certain USB drives (like SanDisk) and the install often bombs requiring multiple reboots to get your PC working again. I have seen a LOT of posts from people saying they’d rather lose their phone data than have Kies on their PC. I’m one of them.

3. Tom April 27, 2013 at 3:15 am -

I’ll right away snatch your rss feed as I can not find your email subscription link or newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Please allow me realize so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

4. Eli January 6, 2013 at 11:58 am -

is it possible to do the same but with a Samsung Galaxy S (I9000). i installed the lastest version of kies, but it says its not compatible with my device.
    i would like to copy the data from the mini diary app to my new samsung galaxy s3 device.

thank you!!!

5. hari December 6, 2012 at 11:57 pm -

you can download latest Kies from samsung site and use it

6. Alex August 11, 2012 at 1:09 pm -

It’s fine, but how cat I get this on my new Galaxy Note?
    I’ve got a new Galaxy Note and I want to get all my data from my old Galaxy S2.
    The Kies-Software cannot restore “personal information” from a S2 backup, only Music Videos and Photos.

7. Nancy May 30, 2012 at 5:11 am -

I found that there is a new version of Kies that does look like this and does backup all the data. Go to Samsung and download Kies again. I was trying to find a way to use the file on my pc but this only backs up in a proprietary way and cannot be used to export a diary.

8. Nancy May 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm -

Neither does mine. I would just like to find where the mini diary file is stored on the phone or Kies so I can download it to my pc.

9. Tony April 27, 2012 at 8:23 pm -

When I went to back up my galaxy S II.The miselenous content files had over8000 it took me over 2 hours to get to 2000 so I cancel the back.What are mcf any way .Thank you.

10. Patricia April 7, 2012 at 12:23 pm -

My Kies doesn’t look like this and there are no tabs at the top of the screen. there is no place for back-up/restore. I can see everything, but no basic info. sync. back-up/restore, etc. It only lets me see stuff on my phone through my PC, that’s it. Very frustrating. I’d like to be able to back up all of it.