How To: Fix Samsung Galaxy S II WiFi Connection Problems

Posted on Jan 16 2012 - 2:36pm by Brian

It’s come to our attention that there are a fair amount of Galaxy S II owners who are having some difficulty getting their phones to connect to their WiFi routers reliably or at all. There has been quite a lot of discussion across the interwebs about whether the problem is a hardware vs. software, or a router vs. phone issue. Depending on which of the aforementioned is causing the problem, you will have to try out a few different solutions in order to fix it. We won’t go into the specifics of why each method can solve the WiFi connectivity issue, but at least one of these methods should remedy your connectivity problem:

1. Static IP (DHCP bypass) workaround

It looks like certain routers don’t play nice with the Galaxy S II so bypassing DHCP seems to improve the router-to-phone feng shui.

1. Turn off WiFi
  2. Go to Menu > Settings > Wireless and networks > WiFi settings > Menu > Advanced > Select “Use static IP”
  3. Fill in all of the fields with valid input aking sure to use two unique DNS addresses (8.8.4.4 and/or 8.8.8.8)
  4. Turn on Wifi
  5. Repeat step 2 but turn off static IP

2. Change Security to WPA2

This will be different based on what type of router you have but can be accessed by using the admin panel and changing the encryption key settings. You don’t need to do anything on your Galaxy S II except type in the new password.

3. Toggle Flight Mode

Simply try toggling flight mode on/off and check if that helps the connection. To do this, hold down the power button and “Flight mode.”

4. AllShare Workaround

Try opening your Samsung AllShare application–it will prompt you to connect to a WiFi network. Selecting a network from this menu should allow you to connect to a network.

5. Disable WiFi sleep policy

Disable the policy that switches when mobile data switches to WiFi. To do this go to Menu > Settings > Wireless and network > WiFi Settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy > Select “Never”

6. Update to the latest firmware

You can use Samsung’s Kies software to update your Galaxy S II to the latest build of Android.

1. Download and install Samsung Kies
  2. Making sure debug mode is OFF (Menu > Settings > Application > Development > Debug OFF), hook your SGS2 to your computer
  3. Upon opening Kies, the homescreen will display which firmware you are running and whether or not you require and update

7. WiFi Fixer Application

WiFi Fixer is an application that can be downloaded for free on the Android Market–it is a “low-resource background Service that maintains your wifi connection automatically and works around several bugs in Android wifi.”

8. Reset Modem

This might be a bit of a hassle, but it is definitely worth trying out. First try power-cyclin the router or modem by unplugging it and plugging it back in. If that doesn’t fix the problem, do a hard reset (resets the router to factory settings)–there is usually a small button on the back you have to hold down for 5-10 seconds.

9. Reset Phone

I would save this solution as a last resort, DEFCON 1 emergency measure. Remember this deletes all your data and restores your phone to its factory settings!

1. Go to Menu > Settings > Privacy > Factory data reset
  2. Hit “Reset phone”

If you have any questions/comments or solutions to the WiFi problem, we would appreciate if you would comment us below!

1. www.Empressr.com July 11, 2014 at 8:30 am -

And involving those two there exists a whole world of variety possible.
    Then you must have this electric hand mixer from Cuisinart.
    Start by sorting out the blog on Kitchen – Aid KHB300 hand blender and
    you will find that which you need.

2. Tertad May 26, 2014 at 2:42 am -

My mobile is Samsung GT-S5620. It recently has a problem with connecting to wi-fi. I have tried all the options given above on this page. However, to no avail. is there anything else I can do to get it fixed?

3. gale May 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm -

Changing my guest router security setting from WPA(any) to WPA2 instantly fixed the issue. Thank you so much. TMobile is clueless and can’t help any of their customers.

4. vignesh January 15, 2014 at 2:10 am -

how to retrive my configure wifi direct device name and password

5. d January 8, 2014 at 3:07 pm -

thanks!!!!!! I tried the static IP and had my connecting to wireless in less than ten minutes. Spent over an hour on phone with ATT with no results.

6. Sushlyia December 27, 2013 at 1:24 am -

Please help!i just buy this samsung galaxy months ago..so my problem is , my wifi connection is not connected ,but the router is working,I keep Turing on the wireless connection or wifi, but it still didn’t work,please help me ….please…fix …

7. Pradeep sapkota December 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm -

i have samsung glaxy s,its wifi & bluetooth turns on but when scanning there not found any device & networks,i already tried factory reset but problem is same,plz give me the solution if any one have……….

8. Rachel September 17, 2013 at 12:55 pm -

I connected to my home wifi on my Galaxy SII and from that moment on the battery dies immediately. It can be fully charged and the minute I try to get on the internet, the battery dies. It was fine before my wifi. I have taken it off my phone, to no avail. It still dcontinues to die in minutes.

9. Bonifacio Pa-ac,Jr June 2, 2013 at 10:44 am -

Its not working ,I cant even connect to wi-fi, my phone is samsung galaxy N700i always states (warning dial failed )to my screen..pls help,tnx

10. Bonifacio Pa-ac,Jr June 2, 2013 at 10:43 am -

Its not working ,I cant even connect to wi-fi, my phone is samsung galaxy N700i always states warning dial failed to my screen..pls help,tnx

11. car seat bag for airplane April 21, 2013 at 2:55 am -

Howdy! I simply want to give an enormous thumbs
    up for the nice data you will have right here on this post.
    I will probably be coming back to your weblog for more
    soon.

12. windows phone 7.5 April 18, 2013 at 10:09 am -

Hey! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the great information you’ve
    gotten here on this post. I shall be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.

13. Aboubakr March 15, 2013 at 2:51 am -

Hi, I have Galaxy SII and I have a Wifi issue that I couldn’t fix, when I go out from a wifi signal to another, it does not connect automatically when it is on a sleep mode, my Wifi Sleep Policy is set to “Never”, I don’t wanna do a reset because I don’t wanna lose my Apps. so please, is there any other way I could use to get this problem fixed ? please respond.

fb : Aboubakr723

14. Rob Lopes December 15, 2012 at 1:02 am -

The problem is with the DLNA auto-IP… Turn it off. It’s near impossible to put in a static IP each time you want to a different WiFi network.

I found the problem – Turn off DLNA auto-IP under the network settings where you select the SSID, then go into advanced mode and you should find it somewhere there. If you want to assign an IP address based on the device MAC address in your router, that will work as well.

The problem isn’t the device, it’s the standard.
    Here’s my little write up…. Only took 3 weeks to find the problem :)

15. lesscan October 25, 2012 at 10:57 am -

The issue I’m having is that when I am connected wo WiFi it works great, but when I put my phone down for 5 or 10 min, then pick it up again, I have to reset the wifi by turning it off/on again.

Very frustrating. Almost as if wifi goes into sleep mode and I have to hard reset it to wake it up.

Anyone have a solution for this?

16. Rohit September 8, 2012 at 11:26 am -

Probably Wifi fixer app worked . I said probably because I had to restart the device before the app showed any effect. But after reset it was magic. I had problem of frequent episodes of connecting to Wifi but no internet. Let me see if it works well in coming days.

17. KevinOBWan August 18, 2012 at 6:49 am -

One other thing that I’ve found with my wife’s SG2S, is that the WiFi settings will get swamped with persistent, open APs (most common has been the attwifi APs that are in McDonalds, Einstein Bros., Starbucks, and other popular “free WiFi” establishments).
    What will happen, on occasion, is she will come home and try to connect to our router at home, and will be unable to find it because she’ll have like thirty or so “attwifi” entries that will all show “Not in range” and her WiFi will shut off after a few minutes as it can’t find a slot to put ours in. I’ll have to turn it back on and Forget all of those along with the “Wayport_access” ones.
    Any ideas how to get the phone to forget these persistent “open” connections that are out of range?

18. tanveer August 11, 2012 at 2:58 am -

Well its really frustrating to see my brother using internet through wifi and geting a healthy signal on his Samsung Galaxy Y while i having the bling bling S2 cant get even a faintest signal…i wonder S2 is weak or something:-C. Please help me out…

19. Chetan August 6, 2012 at 8:44 pm -

Not working any one :(

20. Redsandro July 19, 2012 at 5:33 pm -

Tim, you are my hero. It took me six days to figure out SIPdroid was the instigator of this “Wi-Fi Sleep of Death” problem.

Please check this issue and star it so that it gets attention from the developers:

21. Giac bosh July 14, 2012 at 5:20 am -

If my galaxy s2 is more than 10 feet away from a router the wifi stops working.

22. nathalie July 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm -

Nothing works for me. Fortunately I still have the receipt and it’s under warrantyso I will go back to my cellphone company and exchange it for a new non-Samsung phone. I’m the only one in my household with this problem. And the only one with a Samsung. Very very frustrating!!

23. jessie July 8, 2012 at 5:47 pm -

nothing works for me.

24. James June 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm -

I also had the same problem as some of the contributors above but once I downloaded the latest version of the Firmware for both Galaxy Note and Galaxy SII problem solved. However I found that I had to download a few times and connect recomment the devices a few times to work around the sensitivities of the Kies Software which you will have to load on your PC. Hope this helps.

25. Nuser June 19, 2012 at 8:21 am -

Only option that works for me is reboot the router.

Every other device works fine, laptops, iphones……. only Samsung galaxy/Android fails.

Will recommend to friends not to buy samsung because of this.

26. qqjianyue June 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm -
  27. Brian June 14, 2012 at 12:50 pm -

Hi Mary, I’m not sure I understand your problem, are you having poor cellular or wifi signal reception?

28. mary June 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm -

Poor reception where I live, and the router works fine at home, but when I leave and move into a better-reception area, I get no emails etc. until I return to the router-served area. I was advised to turn off “Wifi calling” and also “wifi settings” but I’m still having the problem. Hopeless with gadgets so would appreciate some help. Thank you.

29. FARUQ June 12, 2012 at 6:26 pm -

my mobile is samsung galaxy SHW-M10S. WIFI AND MOBILE APPLICATION IS NOT WORKING.

30. ohgie June 11, 2012 at 6:32 am -

AllShare Workaround is working well with my galaxy s sc-02b
    thanks guy`s…

31. jcsoliman May 27, 2012 at 5:26 am -

Could someone help me? The thing is, all was going well with my wifi settings and I have never encountered any problems.. But, for weeks now… I suddebly COULD NOT EVEN CONNECT to our wifi router.. Sigh. I mean.. It shows that it’s scanning.. But there is nothing else going on then it would turn off by itself. Please help.
    I have the same problem i tried everything

32. Pat May 20, 2012 at 11:21 pm -

Could someone help me? :( The thing is, all was going well with my wifi settings and I have never encountered any problems.. But, for weeks now… I suddebly COULD NOT EVEN CONNECT to our wifi router.. Sigh. I mean.. It shows that it’s scanning.. But there is nothing else going on then it would turn off by itself. Please help. :(

33. Dani May 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm -

I made the first option and it works!!!

Thank You very much!!!! :D

34. Ryan May 8, 2012 at 3:14 am -

I couldn’t connect to my wireless network when it was prefixed with “<3".
    Worked fine as soon as I changed it.

35. Tim April 15, 2012 at 2:58 am -

One of the options – probably the first- should be to check that other programs are not overriding wifi settings.
    Sipdroid does. It overrides wifi sleep settings so in my case wifi kept turning off every 15 minutes.
    It took me 3 days to work out what was going on with my phone and in the meantime I worked through all of the above options except, fortunately, the last. And of course there was nothing wrong at all with my phone.
    I just didn’t think that a program that relies on wifi being on to work would actually turn it off.

36. karkknp February 28, 2012 at 1:16 am -