T-Mobile’s 4G variant of the venerable Galaxy S is finally getting updated to Andoid 2.3, Gingerbread. Although the update is long overdue, Galaxy S 4G users will be happy to hear that wait is finally over.
According to T-Mobile’s support site, the software update will be available beginning November 15th (today) and will update the Galaxy S 4G to Android 2.3, version T959VUVKJ6. Although T-Mobile notes that the updates is optional, in addition to Android 2.3′s benefits, the Galaxy S 4G will be receiving a Google security patch as well as WiFi and camera enhancements.
Since this device will not be broadcasted over the air (OTA) users will need to install the software using Samsung’s Kies Mini, syncing software. An upgrade can also be performed using the standard version of Kies.
Follow these directions to upfrade your Galaxy S 4G to Gingerbread:
Installing Kies Mini
- Download the most recent version of Kies Mini by visiting http://tinyurl.com/KiesMini1
- Note: Save the file to a desired location – the Desktop is recommended for easy access.
- Double click the Kies Mini file. The program will self extract, no action is required.
- Select the desired Language and Location, then click Next.
- Read the license agreement, check the box for “I accept…” and click Next.
- Kies Mini will begin the installation. No action is required.
- When the process is complete, click Finish.
Prepare the Samsung Galaxy S 4G
- From the Android home screen, press the Menu key and tap Settings.
- Tap Applications.
- Tap USB settings.
- Tap Ask on connection.
- Tap the Escape key once to go back to the Applications menu.
- Tap Development.
- Tap USB Debugging.
- Tap the Home key to exit the settings menu.
- Insert the USB data cable into the phone and then into an available port on the computer.
- Select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt. The PC should recognize several devices and begin installation. This is normal and may take a few minutes. Unplug the data cable when completed.
Upgrade the device to KJ6
Important: Verify that you have backed up all of your data, including the contents of the internal (non-removable) SD card, to prevent unnecessary data loss.
- On the PC, open the Kies Mini application.
- Connect the Galaxy S 4G to the PC using the USB cable, select Samsung Kies at the phone prompt.
- Important: If the Galaxy S 4G was recently rebooted, allow the device to finish Media Scanning before attempting to connect the device to the PC.
- After a few moments, Kies Mini should indicate that a software update is available.
- Click Phone Upgrade.
- Read the Caution statements, click the checkbox for “I have read and understood…”, and click the Upgrade button.
- Kies Mini will contact the server and download the upgrade. Depending on the customer’s network conditions and connection speed, this could take several minutes.
- Kies Mini will begin upgrading the device.
- Important: The phone’s screen may change state or appear to reboot during the process. DO NOT remove the device from the USB cable or reboot the PC until the update is complete. Doing so can permanently damage the device (“brick” the phone).
- When the installation is complete, click Ok to finish. Wait until the phone is finished rebooting and the Android Home screen displays before disconnecting the device.