How To: Samsung Keyboard Predictive Text (XT9) Settings Guide for the Galaxy S II

Posted on Oct 17 2011 - 4:30pm by Brian

It’s arguably one of the most important components of your phone—you spend much of your time tapping away on it but how well do you actually know your keyboard?

Here at CareAce we’ve gone through our share of Android Keyboards (just take a look at our Ultimate Android Keyboard Showdown: 14 keyboard review), yet I still find myself returning to the good ol’ default Samsung Keyboard. Out-of-the-box the keyboard works just fine but I found that due to my extensive use of slang, ebonics and inside jokes whilst texting, XT9’s was auto-correcting and thus hindering my typing abilities. Let’s take a look at how to customize the XT9 and other settings to maximize your typing efficiency!

XT9 Predictive text: On or Off?

The main problem I find with leaving XT9 on is that it corrects words I don’t want to have corrected, and memorizes arbitrary words. What do i mean by the latter problem? Sometimes I type “yeaaaaa” and other times I write “yesss” or “yeaahhhh.” Once I save one variant, XT9 will try and correct any variety of “yes” I begin to input, into that same version over and over again, resulting in very monotonous and uniform text messaging: something I want to avoid in a communication medium that already lacks much character. There are two ways to go about remedying this problem: 1) you can teach (manually input) XT9 all of the words you use, or 2) simply deactivate the feature.

XT9 Activated

Manually adding words to XT9 dictionary

If you’ve decided that you like having XT9 and you would prefer it to learn your texting style, there are two ways for it to learn how you type. You can either manually add words on the keyboard as you text by hitting the drop-down arrow icon, or navingating to Menu > Settings > Language and keyboards > Samsung Keypad > XT9 advanced settings > XT9 my words:

XT9 Advanced Settings:

“Word Completion” - If you start typing “Aweso,” it will automatically complete the word “Awesome,” so that halfway through typing it you can hit space and it will automatically spell out the whole word.

“Spell Correction” - This feature will fix common typos such as D and S letter swapping, i.e. goos and foos instead of good and food.

“Next Word Prediction” - In line with word completion, XT9 will attempt to finish your sentences by memorizing words that you commonly sequence. For example it might suggest “garden” after the word “beer,” this suggestion can be overridden by continuing to type the next word, or can be accepted by hitting space twice.

“Auto-substitute” – Useful for adding apostrophes to contractions or adding “‘s” to possessives.

“Recapture” - If you accidentally selected a suggested word, you can hit backspace to go back to the list of suggestions and choose a different word.

We have yet to figure out what exactly Auto-append and Regional Correction  do, so feel free to give us a tip if you know!

XT9 Deactivated

Deactivate XT9

Hit Menu > Settings > Language and keyboards > Samsung Keypad > Uncheck XT9

Or simply open the keyboard and hit the cog icon to open up settings and do the same as above:

Happy typing! For more tips, check out our Galaxy S II and Galaxy S tip archives.

1. samsung galaxy note 4 user manual October 20, 2014 at 5:19 pm -

The camera can of course shoot video, and this is in 720p
    quality. It’s worth noting that of the top 10 most popular smartphones, Samsung can claim seven out of the ten spots, while Apple can claim just three (albeit, three of the top four, and with all of its flagship devices).
    So for you better understanding we have discussed the major attractions of this
    phone.

2. Susan Pullman September 23, 2014 at 8:21 am -

I have a samsung flip dumb phone. I have used XT9 for years on a motorola phone without any trouble. The XT9 learned the words I put in and if I had to back up and change a word I could use the “next” option to change a word without having to erase the entire word and re-type it and then “next” to the correct word. This phone won’t do either of these things. I went to the phone store and they said they could not help me. Is this phone defective? I would think that all XT9 programs would be the same. Help!

3. Zoe February 6, 2013 at 5:38 am -

Please tell me there’s an easier way to type an apostrophe (n a 3×4 keypad) in the Samsung Galaxy Ace II than going to the ‘123’ button, then then the ‘?#+’ and then inserting an apostrophe. It suggests most abbreviated words (ie. isn’t haven’t etc) but when trying to define possession, (ie dog’s or dogs’) it seems a very long winded way to insert an apostrophe. I’m on the verge of sending this phone back due to the other user-unfriendly aspects and this will be the clincher I think!

4. Nancy January 25, 2013 at 7:01 am -

I have a Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate. I recently had it serviced and when I got it back, I noticed that some features were missing from my messaging screen. Previously, when texting, I would press the space bar and common punctuation marks would pop up below the text box so I wouldn’t have to switch to the keyboard with punctuation. Also, when typing in a word that isn’t a real word, it gave me the option to save it by tapping the word again. That feature is also gone. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Erwin January 2, 2013 at 4:12 am -

Hi!

I had an HTC Sensation XE, and when typing a text, it had a feature that factored in someone hitting keys next to the keys one actually had to use to complete a word. Now I have a samsung galaxy s3 mini, and even though it offers me choices of words below the typing area, I found the option in my HTC MUCH better! Is there a possibility of this option in the Samsung as well?
    Thanks!

erwin

6. Heidi November 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm -

I used to have a Galaxy Gio and the XT9 worked just fine. Now that I changed to S II, the letters that first come up when typing are totally different from what they used to be. I use Finnish as language, and the most common letter from number 8 (I use the 3×4 grid) in the Finnish language is T. My Gio’s first suggestion was always V and I grew used to it, although it seemed a bit odd. In S II the first letter to come up is Ü. What on earth? We don’t even use that in Finnish language at all. Any help (or an explanation) from anyone would be appreciated.

7. Nate November 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm -

-Auto-append: Automatically adds predictions to the word you are typing.

-Regional correction: Automatically tries to correct errors according to normal spelling for your region.

8. Charlie July 29, 2012 at 8:35 pm -

Thank you SO MUCH! I originally wanted to stop XT9 all together. IT WAS SO ANNOYING. But now that i figured out how to get to it, I was able to configure it to suit my needs perfectly. Now it works flawlessly for me. Thank you

9. wenda July 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm -

Hi there
    I have samsung galaxy s2 and i installed ‘GoKeyboard’ and iam using the keypad instead of keyboard. However T9 is annoying me. How to turn it off?

10. ijhiymsz February 27, 2012 at 10:22 am -

bZ8PcT vogrtelighiw

11. Rajapalayam February 27, 2012 at 6:38 am -

+4I can’t beielve Apple would do something like that. That just proves that they are afraid of Android. They know that eventually they will end up like WP7 and Symbian