How To Save a Waterlogged Phone: Drying out your Samsung Galaxy S

Posted on Aug 10 2011 - 6:21pm by Brian

We’ve all done it or at least known someone who has; whether it was a bowl of soup or a toilet bowl, the infamous leap into the pool or the washing machine, we’ve all been witness to the accidental submersion of various electronic devices. So now that you’ve successfully tested the seaworthiness (unworthiness) of your phone, what steps must be taken to resuscitate your soggy device?

Well, there are actually multiple paths of action as well as remedies that have been suggested by those who have experienced this fate, all with varying degrees of success. After combing through a variety of guides as well as anecdotal accounts, I have consolidated a wealth of information into the following nuggets of knowledge that will give you the best shot at reviving your phone!

Phase 1: Immediate Damage Control

1.1 Don’t Panic
So you just just ran into the ocean neglecting the fact that your phone is still on your person, or the laundry machine just finished its spin cycle and you can’t remember where you put your phone. Don’t panic, your phone can’t get any wetter. Actually, panic just enough to quickly get out of the ocean and turn off the washing machine. It’s okay to cry a little during this phase.

1.2 Cut Power/Remove Battery
After getting the device out of harms way, immediately power down (it should already be off; if it is, DO NOT try to power it back on) and pop out the battery. Remove the SIM and microSD while you’re at it.

1.3 Strip Down
After you have removed the SIM, microSD and battery, proceed to strip down the phone as far as you are able. If it means just popping off the back cover that’s fine, but if you have the tools, remove the rear shell as well exposing the mainboard:

Check out our disassembly guide

Shake off any excess water and prepare for Phase 2: Desiccation. If you’re phone was dropped into unpure water (salinated, toilet, soup, etc.), be sure to follow the next step as well.

1.4 Bathing the Phone
This step may sound counter-intuitive but is paramount, especially if the phone was dropped in sea water as it could lead to phone-wrecking corrosion. Take the phone and place it into a pail of distilled water, gently agitating to remove debris and replacing as necessary. Shake off excess water and use compressed air if available to help further remove water.

Phase 2: Desiccation (Drying)

Although we have gotten rid of most of the visible moisture from the phone, their is still a lot of moisture lurking throughout the board, especially in certain electronic components such as the capacitors:

Good luck getting that completely dry!

The next step requires exactly 3 ingredients: 1) a desiccant, 2) time and most importantly 3) patience. What is a desiccant you ask?

A desiccant is a hygroscopic substance that induces or sustains a state of dryness (desiccation) in its local vicinity in a moderately well-sealed container.

-Wikipedia

There are two main options, one being superior but difficult to source in a timely manner and the other an adequate standby: silica gel and rice, respectively. Using whichever you can get your hands on first, submerge the phone and battery into the desiccant in an airtight container such as Tupperware or a Ziploc bag.

If the battery was submerged for a prolonged period, it’s a good idea to get a replacement rather than trying to dry it out.

Phase 3: The Waiting Game

This is probably the most difficult but also most important phase of the recovery process. Don’t try to cheat the drying process using heat as a method to expedite this phase. Using a hairdryer or, god forbid, an oven, to dry out the device can cause the mainboard to warp, solder points to melt, and electrical components to fry. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight should also be avoided.

While we are on the subject of what not to do, you may have seen some suggestions regarding an alcohol bath. The theory behind this is that the alcohol will displace the water, and evaporate much more quickly thereafter. The issue with this is the extensive use of adhesives found in most modern smartphones and the solvent properties of alcohol. Result? Your phone’s screen will fall off its face.

If you can help it, leave the phone in its desiccant tomb for more than a week, replacing the desiccant every few days.

Phase 4: The Rebirth

Now after centuries of waiting, the glorious rebirth of the phoenix is upon us! Except instead of being consumed by flames and reborn from the ashes, your phone will have been consumed by water to be reborn from pellets of silica gel and rice. Assuming everything went well, your phone should be back to a state of complete dryness.

Now for the moment of truth; reassemble your phone and pop the battery back in. Attach the charging cable, hold down the power button and hold your breath.

Did it turn on? If so, great! The question now is, will it stay on and function? If it did, then congratulations you just saved your first phone! If you answered no to either, return the phone back to its tomb and pray that it won’t be your phone’s final resting place.

1. Tanya O'Flaherty July 21, 2014 at 2:13 pm -

My son left his s2 in torrential l rain over night, i it was stripped and dried and put in rice , been in for 3 days now…what are the chances of it working…it wasn’t powered up when wet? ..my daughter user the same method with her iPhone5 when that got wet ( on same day) and hers is working perfect…lol.. but hers only got wet by the paddling pool…

2. water damage yuma az January 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm -

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely picked
    up anything new from right here. I did however expertise a few technical points using this website, since I experienced to reload the site a lot of
    times previous to I could get it to load correctly.

I had been wondering if your hosting is OK?
    Not that I’m complaining, but slow loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords.

Anyway I’m adding this RSS to my email and can look
    out for a lot more of your respective exciting content.

Ensure that you update this again very soon.

3. martin October 30, 2013 at 8:33 pm -

sprayed windex on screen to clean and moisture appeared. took the cover off and removed battery then put it in zip lock bag with rice and silicon gel. what are my odds of salvaging it?

4. Help April 19, 2013 at 1:11 am -

I dropped my Samsung Galaxy Ace in water, and unfortunately I panicked. I did all the things you told me not to do (try to turn it back on and putting it a metre above the heater) AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO NOW. Will the rice method still work or have I fried it forever?

5. Dana March 28, 2013 at 10:57 am -

I dropped my phone in the toilet, took it apart, put it in rice over night. Most of the functions seem to work, except the speaker. Will this function come back with time?

6. dede December 11, 2012 at 3:57 pm -

my phone dropped in the toilet what can i do

7. lizzylegz November 21, 2012 at 8:53 am -

There’s no sticker on the battery and there is no stickers under the battery so i was wondering if they have hidden it where the circuit board is … i’m too scared to take it off just in case i damage it

8. Brian November 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm -

Which carrier version? I don’t believe there are any visible water damage indicators on the Galaxy S II. If anywhere, check inside the battery compartment; they should be small square stickers that should have turned pink or red if they were exposed to moisture.

9. lizzylegz November 20, 2012 at 3:06 pm -

Hi Brian it’s the galaxy S2

10. Brian November 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm -

hi lizzylegz, what type of phone is it?

11. lizzylegz November 19, 2012 at 2:21 am -

Hi i dropped phone in toilet dopey moo i know… i have stuck it in a bag of rice for about 5 days now and it still isnt working :-( i am trying to find the sticker that tells you its waterlogged but cant seem to find it .. does anyone now where it is ?

12. Jacky August 1, 2012 at 2:20 am -

My 2 yr old put my galaxy ace in his paddling pool for 2 hrs, took it out dabbed it dry then stripped it down and put it in rice for 2 days, works perfect now, it did have a rubber case on it that is to protect it if dropped really and i think that helpedas power button and volume control are covered by the case, but the camera lens wes covered in tiny bubbles which the rice soaked up and pics are crystal clear now so if this happens to u its worth trying the rice :)

13. pozycjonowanie google February 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm -

so much superb information on here, : D.

14. Dancewear October 14, 2011 at 3:50 am -

I am getting right on this. The last time I got water in my galaxy s i stripped it down, left it open for an hout then boom – it worked. This time however I am seriously worried, well not seriously but…ok seriously because I literally have evererything on there!!!!! And its my day off!

I will try that rice thing for maybe another hour or two then see, yes I am impatient!