Tip: What is Conditional Call Forwarding?

Posted on Aug 2 2011 - 3:37pm by Brian

Ever made a call and seen that little pop-up message stating that “Conditional call forwarding [is] active.” At first glance you don’t really think twice about it, but then as you are making your call you wonder, “hmm… I wonder what that was supposed to mean?” And just like that you forget about the whole message altogether. Well, don’t fret because its a harmless reminder.

Usually when you receive obscure notifications on your phone you assume there is some sort of problem, but the conditional call forwarding message merely confirms that your call is connected and that any other incoming calls will be forwarded to your voicemail.

To change your call forwarding/voicemail settings, simply hit Menu > Settings > Call settings > Call forwarding settings:

From here you have 4 options:

• Always forward
  • Forward when busy
  • Forward when unanswered
  • Forward when unreachable

Usually this means that anytime you aren’t reachable it will send your incoming call to voicemail. Although my carrier won’t let me, it looks like you can change or disable these numbers so that callers will be able to reach you at a second number (besides your voicemail) or are just notified that you aren’t taking calls. In a nutshell, conditional and unconditional call forwarding are binary: if you want incoming calls to voicemail no matter the situation, you can activate unconditional call forwarding by selecting “Always forward.” Other than that you will be forwarding calls only in certain conditions, i.e. when in the middle of a call, or busy.

1. Danny August 19, 2015 at 5:27 am -

Guys am having problem with my Xperia Z3,I’m receiving this message of conditional caLlandudno forward is enabled and i can’t even make or receive calls.is very frustrating. Can u guys please help me solve this problem.

Danny

2. Debbie August 14, 2015 at 7:30 am -

I have a Huawei Ascend mate2 phone from Consumer. At my residence, I get very poor reception. I activated call forwarding on my cell phone to another number (land line) I can use. Now the call forwarding will not disable. It forwards all my calls to voice mail and it does’t notify me when I have voice mail. I just have to keep checking my phone all day. I have called Consumer Cellular. They are no help. They tell me to just keep repeatedly entering the disable code in my phone and sooner or later the phone will deactivate call forwarding! They lie cause that doesn’t work either. Anyone have any suggestions? If I can’t disable the call forwarding, I guess I’ll have to buy another phone — even though this one is only 35 days new and not even finished paying for it yet.

3. jules July 14, 2015 at 12:37 pm -

I have the same problem but a box appears saying-Network or sim card error
    What does this mean please

4. jules July 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm -

I have the same problem but a box appears and says-Network or sim card error-then ok

5. sher mohd June 5, 2015 at 9:00 pm -

Same problem occur with me if you want to solve the problem you can contact me at my whats apps. I shall provide you solution. +9919997754747

6. Mad May 28, 2015 at 6:20 am -

Thanks SO MUCH!! Since the upgrade to Lollipop 5.0.1, on my Samsung Galaxy S4, I’ve been seeing this popup. I never saw it in Kitkat. I just had to see what this meant, and now I know! Just wish it wouldn’t be there to have made me wonder. Thx again!!

7. chris April 18, 2015 at 2:21 pm -

Great site! The question is : why is it there in the first place? Why did mobile phone manufactureres and operators agree to default the showing of this ” conditional call forwarding”?

8. Mugundan December 5, 2014 at 2:58 am -

In my samsung galaxy s3 whenever i make a call it is showing double tap lock.my talkback option is also already disabled but still it is asking to double tap the screen.How to disable this?please rely asap.This thing is really annoying me

9. laura September 5, 2014 at 11:45 am -

i have a samsung galaxy s3 mini and i done all of this etc i even dialed ##002# and it is saying , call fowarding connection promlem or invalid mmi code all for all basic services , (please help me solve this i wish i hadnt got this phone now i think i am gonna change my mind about these phones ~(by the way i am fully connected to the internet and it is working perfectly ) but not that message

10. bodmas August 26, 2014 at 2:31 am -

I found ” call forwarding on conditional” on my blu phone screen when i tray to call and my voice mail is not working for a long time i tray to set by disable call forwarding menu but still it doesn`t work so you guys do you have some means?

11. mohan August 7, 2014 at 5:34 am -

I get this message with one SIM. I changed this SIM to another phone same message is coming. but another sim doesnt give this message on both the phones….

12. Lilian August 6, 2014 at 12:48 am -

This problem sucks! my phone gives me the same message whenever i call anybody! i have realized most of the people complaining have Samsung Galaxys…. whats up with the phones? BTW i also have Samsung Galaxy S (AT&T).
    Someone help me.

13. Janette June 27, 2014 at 8:20 am -

I have an lg g2 this this message pops up call forward conditional enabled. It only happens on certain numbers. Can I get rid of it so I can call the person

14. Nad February 19, 2013 at 12:07 am -

Please do go in CALL SETTINGS then in ADDTIONAL SETTINGS and change the CALLER ID to NETWORK DEFAULT,it was done to my Samsung Galaxy Y
    and if you want to disapper the pop up “conditional call forward active” then just dail ##002# the pop will vanish.

15. chris February 4, 2013 at 1:04 am -

started getting this message at the same time as being unable to call out. As soon as it connects the message comes up “call forwarding conditional is enabled”, the phone beeps and call disconnected at 0.0 secs. What can I do?

16. chris February 4, 2013 at 12:58 am -

I started getting this message at the same time as being unable to call out. As soon as it connects the message comes up “conditional call forwarding active”, the phone beeps and call disconnected at 0.0 secs. What can I do?

Chris,

17. lucky January 18, 2013 at 3:31 am -

if there is any problam with this conditional call forwading then go to (Settingh->call-> additional setting->caller ID-> select show number )your phone will work & its work

18. K Pushparaj November 29, 2012 at 2:43 am -

I called up my mobile operator (Vodafone) and they asked me to enter ##002# whenever i face this problem. It works

19. Natasha October 7, 2012 at 2:14 am -

Same problem as Santi…the phone hangs for certain numbers almost straight away with the Samsung Galaxy S3. Any solutions?

20. Emwa August 27, 2012 at 3:44 am -

I am currently experiensing this problem for all numbers. I dial the number, it ends the call and the message says conditional call forwarding active. Surely there has to be a way to deactivate this and be able to call!! My phone is a samsung Galaxy S3

21. Razman March 21, 2012 at 6:11 am -

Guys, For my case is the Caller ID turns to be the culprit. When I set the caller ID to other than Network Default it gives me that error. By the way this setting is under Settings–>Call–>Additional Settings –> Caller ID. You may just want to check if it solve the issue.

22. Santi February 24, 2012 at 12:16 am -

Yes sure for incoming calls on your own phone this info is true but I get this message for SOME numbers (no obvious similarities among them) on OUTGOING calls. One ring, the message pops up, the call is immediately disconnected and you can try over and over again it’s no use. So does that mean the RECIPIENT’S phone is on call forwarding? In which case I can just stop trying after the first failure and accept that this person is not answering?

23. Brian October 31, 2011 at 10:43 am -

As far as we can tell, there is no setting to toggle the notification–you’ll just have to live with it popping up

24. Lance October 31, 2011 at 4:42 am -

Thanks for the clear explanation. Is there a way to keep the setting for Conditional Call Forwarding without having the reminder message on each call?

25. Marin October 27, 2011 at 2:33 am -

Thank you for a useful information.
    I had to call my provider to turn off the call forwarding.

26. Jason August 10, 2011 at 3:35 am -

27. Hansoo August 3, 2011 at 12:14 am -

Thank you for the great information. I was always curious about the message.