How To: Download and Use Kies Air for Galaxy S

Posted on May 3 2011 - 5:54pm by Brian

*Update* How To use Kies Air to transfer iTunes music and Backup Contacts

Kies Air is Samsung’s native Wifi based syncing application for the Galaxy S line of phones that allows you to manage your phone from your computer’s desktop.

If you read our review of the Free PowerPoint Remote for Android, you will be familiar with the Galaxy S’ ability to interface with a computer utilizing a shared WiFi network. Samsung’s Kies Air works on the same principle, but this time the computer will be controlling the phone’s contents.

Once connected, you can access your phone’s contacts, messages, call logs and media as well as send texts via computer, all without having to download anything on your computer. You simply type in the IP that Kies gives you into your computer’s browser and the Kies Air manager will load. Here are the step-by-step instructions so you can give it a try yourself:

Instructions

Installing Kies Air:

1. Download KiesAir.apk and move it to your phone’s SD card

2. Goto your application settings and enable installation of non-Market applications:

3. Now go to ‘My Files’ and browse to the directory where you saved the .apk. Run the installation.

Running Kies Air:

1. Select the application from the app drawer and click start.

2. Enter the URL from the application into your web browser and hit enter:

3. Your phone will prompt you to allow access at which point Kies Air will be fully functional.

From this point you can open and edit most of the data and files on your phone; check out our video of the browser’s interface:

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4_hYKscYI4

If you guys have any questions or comments about the application, comment us below!

1. Van Damme Epic Split April 2, 2014 at 3:54 pm -

Just put your cooking pans and frying pans into the proper
    section of you dishwashing machineand let the burst of water rinse them so powerfully without any
    traces of mess and oil left. When you’re making an expensive purchase online, it’s nice to know
    that the company will stand behind its product. It is not fun to try to clean bread dough off the bottom
    of a mixer.

2. Sheree March 26, 2014 at 12:31 pm -

In bigger towns all of the traffic will mean a high concentration of these harmful fumes
    are actually introduced into the air everyday.

3. cooler March 25, 2014 at 9:47 pm -

When activated, the reciprocate function remains proactive before container is drawn right
    down to 50% degree, where mark, your day tank’s fill
    thrust moves on to draw fresh (presumably cooler) petroleum from all the bulk storing aquarium.

4. Graham March 3, 2014 at 6:58 pm -

Thanks heaps for the tips. I have been looking for quite some time as to how I could get Kies Air back on my phone…..works perfectly…too cool!

5. Boutique Hair Bow March 2, 2014 at 11:55 pm -

This is certainly special cool. I’ve been appearing by way
    of a bunch on-line and additionally really loved this version.

6. davewirth.Blogspot.com March 2, 2014 at 4:11 pm -

These are actually the kinds of jobs which people invariably miss to go about doing.

Purely such as changing the filter inside their furnace.

7. foster2016.com February 28, 2014 at 7:52 am -

Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told
    was a entertainment account it. Glance advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?

8. gvarun January 29, 2014 at 1:02 am -

Dear Sir,
    Thanks for detailed tips .Problem was solved.
    Regards,

9. Tandblekning hemma December 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm -

Hi there to every body, it’s my first go to see of this web site; this blog carries awesome and genuinely fine
    stuff designed for readers.

10. Mahalia December 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm -

Hi there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend
    to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this web site.

11. web site December 18, 2013 at 2:45 am -

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you design this website yourself or did you
    hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I’m looking to design my own blog and would like to find out where u got
    this from. thank you

12. holden roofing houston reviews November 27, 2013 at 8:56 pm -

I do not even know the way I ended up here,
    however I thought this publish was once good. I do not recognize who
    you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger in case you are not already.
    Cheers!

13. vita tänder November 20, 2013 at 4:41 pm -

Hiya! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your
    site mobile friendly? My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4.
    I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this
    issue. If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!

14. vitare tänder November 11, 2013 at 6:07 pm -

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your web site, how could i subscribe
    for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

15. wikipedia dictionary mobile download November 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm -

If a website is consistently edited to add links that breach
    town rules in the bid to include SEO value for individuals or even a provider of.
    Formative assessment – Formative assessment is usually accomplished in a course
    or project. ISRO has through the years built many field installations and
    works together with all the international space research community on many important bilateral and multilateral research agreements.

16. Pokemon X et Y Rom November 4, 2013 at 5:02 am -

Have you ever thought about adding a little bit more than just
    your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental
    and everything. Nevertheless think about if you added some great images or videos to give your posts more,
    “pop”! Your content is excellent but with pics and videos,
    this site could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in its field.

Amazing blog!

17. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to
    find things to improve my website!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!\

18. Kathlyn October 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm -

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted at this website is truly good.

19. Fannie August 5, 2013 at 12:19 pm -

If you would like to grow your knowledge only keep visiting this web site and be updated with the most
    recent news posted here.

20. car history report August 4, 2013 at 9:41 pm -

Hello! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely
    enjoy reading through your posts. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that
    deal with the same topics? Thank you!

21. how to backup your computer August 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm -

I absolutely love your blog and find a lot of your post’s to be exactly I’m looking for.
    can you offer guest writers to write content for you?
    I wouldn’t mind creating a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write about here. Again, awesome blog!

22. Samie April 9, 2013 at 6:23 am -

Hi everyone,

Can any one please tell me where can I download Kies Air for iMac. It is Kies Air I am looking for and not Kies.

samie

23. Umar Iqbal January 20, 2013 at 8:22 am -

Hi Brian,

Actualy i’ve backed up ma contacts list via Samsung Kies but now the charging pin of ma Galaxy S1 GT I9000 got out of order due to Power IC issue that can not be replaced or repaired unless the damage approval. So now i want to restore my already created backup using kies Air.
    So would u plz help me how can i restore that backup via Kies Air to ma phone coz data cable will no longer work.

Thanks,

24. george October 3, 2012 at 5:18 pm -

blinds

25. REBAZ September 7, 2012 at 10:11 am -

hae am rebaz am glak se 2

26. Avinash K R August 26, 2012 at 10:33 am -

hi.. i have bought new samsung galaxy ace duos s6802. I have downloaded kies. when i tried to connect it, kies panel shows it is connecting…it was in same state for more than half an hour. still it didnt connect to my samsung mobile. when my mobile connected to pc via usb for the first time, laptop showed “cdc acm driver missing”. Is it because of this i am not able to access kies? I have searched more than 100 blogs to download cdc acm driver, i could not find. I tried to connect using bluetooth, again the same problem, showing ” SAMSUNG” driver missing.. please help me..

27. John June 9, 2012 at 1:13 am -

It freezes on – ENTER URL IN BROWSER ….
    It shows the correct http// code number (it must have detected it)
    It show the correct Network name (it must have detected it)
    and the little green dots just keep blinking away – for hours!

What to do?
    (this is a terrible reminder of the hours wasted trying to get Nokia’s Ovi to work between phone and PC!!!!)

28. Bhushan June 8, 2012 at 8:25 pm -

Detailed writeup, thanks for the instructions

29. Brian June 4, 2012 at 10:58 am -
  30. zanz June 3, 2012 at 1:40 am -

Hello.. Ive managed to do all the above instructions.. but I have problem in downloading some photos from my phone.
    Can anyone please tell me how to download them? and download anything else?

31. jamaljoseph May 27, 2012 at 1:49 pm -

it just does not work like many of the above the url wont simply take it.
    i give up.

32. cahit May 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm -

hi,
    l couldn’t download kies air to my computer, can you tell me how can l do

33. DEBORA Laurence February 26, 2012 at 7:10 am -

Le site Web-assistance-france.com est un forum d’entraide et d’assistance informatique .

34. Brian January 20, 2012 at 10:15 am -

Hi Maka,

Kies Air only uses WiFi signal, so it will never use your data plan. I would suggest using Kies via USB to backup your data as frequently as you need to.Backing up without wifi or USB would have to use your data plan.

35. maka January 20, 2012 at 12:36 am -

by using kies air does it use my data from my phone plan if I am using wifi via my wireless router? Is so, is there a way to use only my home wireless to save my data when i’m on the go? thanks ahead for the support :D

36. Kevin January 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm -

I start Kies air, and connected as at the bottom of the phone, shows my computer name.

I input the information for the browser and get the following message on my browswer:

We were unable to return you to the page you were viewing.

Internet Explorer has stopped trying to restore this website. It appears that the website continues to have a problem.

What you can do:
    Go to your home page
    Try to return to the page you were viewing

I am running IE9.

Thx
    More information

37. Brian December 27, 2011 at 5:58 pm -

DARRIN – make sure your computer and your phone are on the same WiFi Network
    Josh – You must manually move your phone data to and from your computer with Kies Air to save/backup your data. Kies Air doesn’t provide and auto-sync.
    Bill C. – I’m not quite sure I understand your problem, you cannot expand the HD directory to view your folders?

38. Bill Canter December 22, 2011 at 7:47 am -

trying to use Kies with my MAC PowerBook. It shows up OK – but when I want to add a file from my computer to the phone – the only ‘upload’ alternatives are in my HD and I can not access a folder anywhere else. I have a few .docs I want to carry with my on my Samsung Galaxy S2/T989.

39. josh December 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm -

Brain – doesn’t Kies work as a backup? In other words, I just had to factory reset my galaxy s2. Before doing that I connected via Kies 2.0 to my PC. All my information showed up on the screen on the PC. So I knew it was there. THEN, I reset the phone. Once booted up, I started Kies on my phone with the expectation that the Kies data on the PC would transfer back to the phone but that does not happen. how is this a backup application when it doesn’t really backup your data? thanks

40. DARRIN November 26, 2011 at 5:09 pm -

the url that kies tells me to type on my computer doesn’t work, “page can’t be displayed”.. whats the deal?

i’ve also tried another app: allshare, it can’t even see my computer.

GS2

41. Zykra Cosmos November 16, 2011 at 6:33 am -

Thanks guys. I tried a million ways (in vain) to get one of my homemade ringtones to my new SGII Skyrocket, and it would not have been possible without Kies Air. Old phones I could move files from a folder on my SD card to folders accessed by the phone for tones and pics, but not wih the Skyrocket. By 1am Kies Air showed me where everything was and I was able to move it around.

42. Azmal Khan November 5, 2011 at 6:08 pm -

if I send text message using kies air from my pc, do IO have to pay anything?

43. Sandi milharčič October 29, 2011 at 4:33 am -

Nice:)

44. suman September 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm -

hai
    Its amazing. gud work buddy and nice direction
    but Iam unable to download and upload files to my mobile and computer.

45. sharon September 20, 2011 at 1:16 am -

I have to send my samsung galaxy back and im trying to copy contacts and files across to my pc . Help !!!

46. John Lippold August 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm -

I have a Galaxy S Captivate and I have been using the Kies Air since about April of this year. I began having difficulties with sync via the USB version of Kies and finally ended up resetting my phone to factory yesterday. After resetting I was no longer able to install Kies Air, receiving an error msg indicating the app was not compatable with my phone. I have now downloaded and installed the Kies Air using the QR link above. It is working fine now. Both Rogers Canada and Samsung clearly stated that the Kies Air was for the Samsung S II and higher models. Shaking my head, because it works fine with my Android v 2.2
    Thank you for this article.

47. Talvin Dinh August 1, 2011 at 6:38 am -

Forget about Kies Air, and use this instead: Android Sync Manager WiFi (http://global.mobileaction.com/download/android.jsp).
    It’s much better than kies air, sync everything, upload and download stuffs between PC, laptop and your android devices (any android phones, tablet).

48. sundaydiver July 25, 2011 at 1:25 am -

Just for the record:
    Kies Air also works on my Samssung Ace GT-S5830 w. original Android version 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD.XWKPL

49. Pernille Iversen Bonomi July 14, 2011 at 3:46 am -

Helloooo
    I just bought this phone that should be so fantastic….well my problem is when i what to connect the kiesair from the phone to pc…i cant….i write the browes adress thats written on the phone in my browes window…but its not working…what do i do???…i want my photoes on my pc…pleaseeee help..

yours sincely
    Pernille

50. Shashi July 12, 2011 at 6:37 pm -

Good piece of software. Very useful

51. Rich b June 24, 2011 at 11:10 am -

Oh thanks im surprised im the only one that would rather keep control of their personal data. look forward to your findings Brian. thanks for the help.

52. Brian June 24, 2011 at 10:55 am -

Rich,
    Ah, I understand what you are trying to do now. Although I can’t give you any exact directions on how to do that off the top of my head, I think that is a great article idea. I got a lot of stuff on my plate right now, but starting this weekend and into next week I’ll delve into some research and see if I can’t find or come up with some repeatable procedure to back/restore a Samsung Android phone’s data.
    Cheers,
    Brian

53. rich b June 24, 2011 at 10:51 am -

Hi Brian. thanks for reply. I want to be able take a complete backup in case i ever need to restore the phone to a known working state in the event of a problem.
    Ill take a look at that all share link thanks

54. Brian June 24, 2011 at 10:25 am -

Rich,

I’m sorry that your data backup experience has not been up to par. What exactly do you want to back up (contacts, media apps etc.)?

As you have pointed out, Google’s cloud system carries much of your information (you are practically forced to have a google account), which as you pointed out can be used for data mining. Of course rejecting this service greatly hinders your ability to use your Android phone to its fullest extent.

Samsung’s primary focus is hardware, so Kies Air isn’t nearly as polished as we would like it to be. As for AllShare not working, take a look at our guide/review: http://www.careace.net/2011/06/03/review-samsung-allshare-application-on-the-infuse-4g/

55. Rich B June 24, 2011 at 9:46 am -

Ive only had my SG S2 two days but im already getting annoyed trying to find out how to back up my entire phone to my pc, all the reviews keep talking about it, but actually doing it is another matter. There doesnt seem to be an option with kies air when connecting the pc via its browser (other than manually downloading everysingle area one at a time), Allshare doesnt seem to work at all (pc doesnt show up). Why is it so difficult to backup the phone??? Every single one of my old non-smart phones did it with ease.
    I can see i can backup media etc using Windows media player synch, same for outlook. But why cant it just synch everything in one place?!
    I know theres plenty of apps to backup to the cloud including the built in Google and Orange ones, but im extremely against the likes of google holding my data (as if they dont have enough already!) and i have a perfectly good pc to back it to (which is then in turn also backed up to external HD) and want to use that thankyou very much Samsung.
    As you can tell slightly annoyed that they seem to of made it deliberately difficult to manage my own data so that they can get can their hands on it in the cloud.
    Any idea how it can be done please? I dont mind if I have to connect over WiFi or with the data cable, all I want is to be able to backup MY data to MY PC.

56. Brian June 23, 2011 at 11:13 am -

movrshakr: I think Kies Air isn’t available in all countries.

Nora: If you want to just upload a ton of music you should put your GS2 into storage mode and dump all the files to the music folder. Try browsing the Samsung website to find a compatible or non WiFi version of Kies for your region; tell us if you find anything!

Oatrick: Your welcome and thank you!

57. Patrick June 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm -

Thank you so much for this. Ever since Samsung took away Kies Air from Captivate because they have a newer version I have been searching. I will pass this around.

Thanks again…keep up the great work,
    Patrick

58. Nora June 19, 2011 at 4:24 am -

I have recently bought Samsung Galaxy S II, but i find Kies Air quite complicated, and hoped you could answer some of my questions.

When I wnat to upload songs from my computer to Kies Air I can only upload one by one, do you know how to upload several songs at the same time? And do you know how to change the name, artist, album etc. of the songs in Kies Air?

My friend has the first version of Samsung Galaxy S, and she got Kies Air as a program on the computer, not as a WiFi program, and she dont have the same problems as me. Can I download Kies Air instead of using the WiFi version even though I have the new Galaxy, and if I can, where can I download it?

Thanks :)

59. movrshakr May 21, 2011 at 6:26 am -

I downloaded your Kies Air and one posted at XDA. They have different md5 hashes. I cannot find one for the life of me on samsung.com. I assume yours and the other one are just different versions, but I would like to dl from an ‘official’ repository. Where would that be? Thanks.