How to get the Galaxy S Froyo 2.2 update RIGHT NOW if you own a GT-i9000 device, regardless of European country [UPDATED]

Posted on Oct 15 2010 - 12:48pm by P.Schmitz

**UPDATE:  So it seems as though Samsung might have pulled this update due to the amount of people using the Registry Hack to trick Kies.  For now until we hear of or read an official update from Samsung, we would HIGHLY encourage you to not update your phone using this method.  Many different people have reported lots of problems using this method, and so far only European countries have had the smoothest of installs (I updated the post title to reflect this).

If you’ve already installed using this method or you’ve left a comment with your problem below, I’ll be updating this as read about solutions int he XDA Forums and posting as many of them here as I can find/verify.  Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Check back with us here at this article and our main page to get the most up to date information regrading Froyo and Galaxy S devices.

*****UPDATE: So I put the original directions on another post which can be found here.  If you still want to try the Registry Hack, then go there, but I wouldn’t recommend it as Samsung has pulled the update and people are instead being updated to Android 2.1 update-1 which doesn’t always match their model number, so be forewarned if you try that.  Otherwise see below for how to do the update through a program called ODIN.

Current Known Problems users have been experiencing across all countries and device models:

• GPS issues have been better, the same, or worse in some instances
  • Users have lost either their data network connections or voice network connections
  • Loss of 3 button start
  • Beings stuck at the intro screen forever
  • Conflicts with or non-working Swype software
  • Slower than previous 2.1 build

Problem: Missing homescreen shorcuts or widgets

Solution: So it seems like some people are experiencing their homescreen widgets and shortcuts being rearranged, moved, or deleted.  This is normal just recreate them or if you have Launcher Pro just backup your homescreens and then restore.

Problem: Slower UI than your previous 2.1 build

Solution: Also users have been noting that the phone is slow for the first 30 minutes.  If you know what LagFix is (or how to use google) then you can apply that or just wait for awhile and it seems to correct itself.

Problem: Frequent unknown vibrating

Solution: Not sure about this frequent vibrating, but haven’t read anywhere that this is harmful.  Users have been reporting that this stops once you disable your Swype keyboard.  If you want to get your Swype keyboard working, our very own Dar has reported that doing a factory reset of the device in your 3 button mode solves this issue.  Thanks for the tip Dar!

Problem: Market not showing up in your app drawer

Solution#1: Do a hard reset of your phone.  This will wipe all your data and settings, but many people who flash their phones often swear by doing a hard reset immediately after to get the most out of that particular ROM.  Should you choose to do a hard reset, check out our Samsung Kies article because it talks about all the apps that allow you to backup basically everything on your phone.

Solution#2: Some people are reporting that if you can get a file explorer application installed, or you had one installed before updating, then accessing a file on your phone is all thats needed to restore the market.  The guide below was found on the XDA Forums posted by user vigge_sWe

I don’t know if this has been posted before, but I found a way of getting market to work without a factory reset:

You need a filemanager that can access /system/ for this, like Astro. Go to /system/apps/ and install the vending.apk . You will now have market. The first couple of times you launch it, it will crash. But after a couple of times it will start working as normal again. At least it did for me.

So if you’re able to follow that guide.  Otherwise you’ll need to download a File Manager apk and install it through your computer.  Now in our comments sections user odrikez was kind enough to host a file for all of you and you can find it at this link just go there on your mobile phone and click on the icon next to the name to download the file.  Now some Galaxy S devices prevent non-market apps from installing.  To bypass this go grab Astro File Manager’s APK from here and then read out guide on how to install apks through your usb connected computer here.

**This will be updated as I find out about more problems/solutions.  Also let us know in the comments if you find anything new that you don’t see here yet.

Other Misc Links and Info regarding this update

• New root method by Chainfire can be found here.
  • A way to get the 3 button mode working on any rom here.
  • A forum post where you can post about your experiences with the new Froyo builds and also report problems can be found here.
  • How to update your Galaxy S phone to Froyo 2.2 using Odin and other methods (including lagfix) can be found here.  (This is a more technical, but more stable way to update your device to Froyo than the Reg Hack method used above)

How to revert back to Android 2.1

• So this isn’t the easiest of methods, but it should work and there are instructions in the link.  Just please please please make sure to read every line of text whether big or small before attempting to do this.  I can’t be held responsible if anything goes wrong, and this solution is one of the easiest I found.
  • You will first need to sign up for an account with SamFirmware before you’ll be able to access the links below.
  • First go to this link where you can see all the firmwares for every Galaxy S device (exlcuding North American models) and the subsequent files needed to revert back to 2.1.  Make sure to check out the bottom of the page where you will find the Odin files, the .PIT files, and the instructions in 8 different languages.
  • If you’re confused on which files to download, check out this link where you can find your country and see what firmware code you need to download.
  • Please let me know in the comments if this works for anyone who needs/wants to do this!!

Hopefully you enjoyed this guide and let us know how it goes in the comments!

1. search October 1, 2014 at 5:19 pm -

I used to be suggested this web site via my cousin. I am no longer certain whether
    this submit is written by means of him as no one else understand such exact about my
    trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

2. jakir ahmed December 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm -

@Imran Ahmaad
    Obviously you are very stupid

3. frank zappa October 27, 2010 at 12:28 pm -

Hello all!
    i am from Romania, i tried to do the Kies update (first using the regedit.exe steps) but it stops the progress update at ~70 % with an error MSC message.
    If someone know how to bypass this problem, please leave a post here.
    My phone is a based Orange locked, but it’s unlocked now.
    GT-I9000
    2.1-update1
    I9000XXJF5
    Kernel- 2.6.29
    root@SE-S602#2
    Eclair.XWJFB

4. Imran Ahmaad October 27, 2010 at 2:23 am -

I have updated my phone(UNLOCKED 3 UK) last night. but after update it says:

Firmware version: 2.1-update1
    Baseband: I9000XXJM1
    KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.29 root@SE-S603 #2
    Build number: ECLAIR.XWJM2

UPDATE PROCESS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY BUT WHAT COULD BE CAUSE OF THIS? I THINK SAMSUNG HAS REMOVED THE FILE OF FROYO 2.2

5. mpierce October 25, 2010 at 7:07 pm -

3-button fix worked a treat… Excellent!
    I now have Froyo 2.2 running on my everyday phone (build # FROYO XWJP6).

As I have two of these phones, the other is running Darky’s Raw Steel. Awesomely quick! Both phones running the Voodoo lag fix. The other is running the leaked Froyo that required the registry hack to install.

Testing LauncherPro vs TwLauncher. Strongly leaning towards making LauncherPro the permanent solution – 3 screens (7 is possible), very clean with settings available on the menu, rolling task bar that gives instant access to the 15 apps that I use most often.

Have stopped using the inbuilt email client. This is a dog with frequent crashing. K9-mail proving to be a gem.

The only con at this point now seems to be that I cannot sync contacts to the gmail account.

6. Robert October 22, 2010 at 4:18 am -

did as per advised…showed can upgrade…after completed checked “about phone” and still the same (lol) 2.1 update 1….was looking good for a while there :(

7. rash October 21, 2010 at 5:22 am -

how i revert back:

the restore in kies did not work. unplug the usb cable, remove battery, put it back (surprise), pres volume down + home + power button. plug usb cable, in kies press firmware update and now the revert process works

8. rash October 21, 2010 at 5:03 am -

thanks for great guide in the middle i got green screen and the phone is now dead

9. nuttsan October 21, 2010 at 3:24 am -

Gave up on the wait and used Odin to go to 2.2.

Worked great, no lost settings or data, all I had to do was reset-up my widgets.

2 important points:
    1) The reboot process takes a long time, I’d say almost 5min, be patient.
    2) Read all of DamainGto’s comments in the above XDA linked thread and if you are UK based #61

Oh and I had to type in the password, copy and paste failed.

10. Prague October 21, 2010 at 1:46 am -

Tried this on the weekend. Unfortunately T-Mobile Czech have some sort of block in place that prevents Kies from updating the firmware. Also they have very smartly disabled the hard reset feature on the Galaxy s. Result > firmware update failed and Kies was unable to revert to 2.1 as the hard reset needs to be done to put the phone into recovery mode. Had to take phone for service to get it reset… very annoying.

Would strongly recommend that anyone wanting to attempt this should check first that their phone’s hard reset works. (battery out then in, press volume down and then hold power on). This should bring up a few options such as recovery mode. There is a hack available that re-enables the hard reset feature.

11. ken October 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm -

Hi,
    I’ve got a parallel imported phone from somewhere in Europe I think, but I’m in New Zealand, will the KIES programme update my phone without the need for this hack?
    ECLAIR 2.1, I9000XXJF3, 2.6.29 umts_scm@S1-BUILd05 #2

12. hitex October 20, 2010 at 11:40 am -

I tried this update on branded german T-Mobile and all it did is unbranded my phone. It is still awesome. Thanks!

13. nuttsan October 20, 2010 at 5:14 am -

@Boodead, just had the same thing happened, tried the update and still on 2.1. Am guessing Samsung has changed something so that this hack no longer works.

I’m just hopping they make an announcement about the UK update soon or otherwise I’m downloading Odin and flashing that way.

14. Boodead October 20, 2010 at 2:06 am -

Hi…

Have trouble, just now have updated my i9000 via Kies (but update was working fine without your fix), after it my firmware is still 2.1, after that tried your solution, but firmware is still 2.1… Whats the point? :)

15. nuwan October 20, 2010 at 1:58 am -

Perfect thank you very much for the solution!
    Fast,
    GPS problem solved(almost)
    Android market is working without any pains

My samsung galaxy s phone purchased from 3 UK now working incredibly. I like the new task manager received with froyo 2.2

16. P.Schmitz October 19, 2010 at 2:32 pm -

Dear ZMSUDU,

Sorry about it not working for you, try to revert back to 2.1 with the Odin method to restore that language pack

Dear Kurt,

No problem, happy to help.

Dear Steve,

Glad to hear its worked out well, enjoy!

To everyone else,

Hopefully this guide has been helpful to you and just remember if you have any questions ask them via our contact email or by posting in this thread and I’ll try my best to assist you. Thanks and have a great day

17. Steve October 19, 2010 at 3:37 am -

I went for odin to install 2.2 instead of going back to 2.1. So far so good. Thanks for your help P.Schmitz

18. Kurt October 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm -

P.Schmitz, thank you for all your help.

19. ZMSUDU October 18, 2010 at 10:03 pm -

THIS DOES NOT WORK IN CROATIA. FROM PDA I9000XFJM3, IM NOW ON I9000XWJM2. ECLAIR BOTH, EVEN LOST MY LANGUAGE, BUT I DONT CARE. IM SORRY I DIDNT WORK!!!!

20. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm -

To all who want to revert back to Android 2.1,

I just updated the end of the guide with links and instructions on how to do exactly this. Hopefully this helps and let me know if you have any questions, but as always poke around on the XDA Forums and Google for possible answers before asking here so I’m not searching for a million different solutions, thanks!

21. Kphyre October 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm -

hey, jus wanted to say thanks P. Schmitz, doing a good job on trying to fix this and helping everyone as much as u can, waiting eagerly for the guide on reverting bak to 2.1 :)

22. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:13 pm -

Dear Steve,

Working on getting a guide or walkthrough for this as we speak. Check back later for more updates.

23. Steve October 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm -

Re: firmware is 2.1-update1. Please help on how to revert back to the “latest” uk rom

24. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm -

Dear Melanie,

It would appear that the servers are down. If you are still interested in installing Froyo I would follow the link above to do so using the Odin flash method.

25. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm -

Dear Dan,

I’m working on posting a link to revert back to 2.1 and I will let everybody know as soon as I do, thanks for being so patient.

26. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:11 pm -

Dear Peter,

Again it might not work on all Galaxy S devices. If you really want Froyo now, then I would recommend flashing via the Odin method. You can find instructions in a link I posted at the end of our article.

27. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm -

Dear mpierce,

Check my link above to get your 3 button mode back.

28. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:10 pm -

Dear Browwiw,

This WILL NOT work with North American devices at the moment. If you truly want froyo on your captivate now, I would suggest checking out our article on the leaked build that showed up a couple of weeks back here: http://www.careace.net/2010/10/05/samsung-galaxy-captivate-w-froyo-2-2-ucji6-captivate-w-eclair-2-1-ucjh7/

29. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm -

Dear Henrique,

Trying to find a way to do this now so I can help you and Paul out. Will update the article again once I find something. Just keep checking back for more information.

30. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm -

Dear Marvin,

Try the fix for 3 button mode above in a link I posted at the end of the article and let me know if it works, thanks!

31. Steve October 18, 2010 at 3:09 pm -

Same problem: firmware is 2.1-update1

32. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm -

Dear Mr. Happy,

Thanks for helping with Himanshu and check the link above for a new rooting method that covers this update, enjoy!

33. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm -

Dear Himanshu,

It shouldn’t have changed your product code. So updating in the future shouldn’t be a problem.

34. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:07 pm -

Dear Paul,

Some users have experienced problems when installing this update and the voice or data radio frequencies don’t match. I would recommend reverting your phone back to 2.1 with your home countries ROM. (post again if you can’t figure out how to do this and I’ll help as much as possible)

35. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:06 pm -

Dear scottty,

Again this update won’t work for every version of the Galaxy S device. I would recommend waiting until the rollout reaches your country. Otherwise see above link to update your phone using Odin.

36. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm -

Dear Simon Y,

If it isn’t letting you update your phone to 2.2 and it still works with 2.1, then just wait for the rollout to reach your country. No point trying to force it and potentially bricking your phone. If you insist in getting Froyo now then see the above link on updating your phone with Odin.

37. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 3:05 pm -

Dear Joze,

I included a link to the XDA Forum where you can fix this 3 button issue at the end of the article.

38. Melanie Schultze October 18, 2010 at 2:13 pm -

IS TH?S A JOKE???… I HAVE UPGRADE MY GALAXY S AS TH?S D?SCR?PT?ONS FROM P.SCHM?TZ BUT THE VERSION IS NOT CHANGED TO 2.2 ?TS 2.1… R?GHT NOW ?S THAT WAY WRONG OR NOT…???

39. Peter October 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm -

P.Schmitz, maybe you can just confirm for now that the above method is currently not working on any phones at all, so nobody waste their time trying to make it work … ?

40. P.Schmitz October 18, 2010 at 12:11 pm -

To all those having problems with their Galaxy S upon upgrading through the registry hack. I’m currently trying to research each question and issue in the order they were posted and will respond here as soon as I find solutions or at least possible places where you can ask more knowledgeable people. Check back often for the most up to date information, thanks for your patience.

41. Peter October 18, 2010 at 7:30 am -

I think it would be same same … I updated my own Galaxy yesterday night, all went fine – but this morning I wanted to update my wifes, and then found out that Samsung stopped the update to 2.2, now only doing 2.1 update 1….

So I think eiter they took it of due to some bugs or theire servers might be down as well, for now there is no official statement as far as I know.

42. Kurt October 18, 2010 at 6:49 am -

@mpierce, Peter, Marvin

Same issue here. Says firmware is 2.1-update1, but at the same time PDA:JM2/PHONE:JM1.

Would it still be possible to update these when the official update comes out? Maybe using the same trick?

43. Peter October 18, 2010 at 6:15 am -

I dont know anybody today who have been able to update to 2.2 from today this morning – Samsung must have taken the update back again … Forums are full of frustrated people who can only upgrade to 2.1 update 1 …

44. dan October 18, 2010 at 6:13 am -

Hello, I tried updating to Froyo,using the reg kack but Kies has installed JM1! Does anyone have any idea how to get Froyo or revert back to the tmobile firmware? Scared that ill not be able to upgrade to 2.2 when the official gets released?

thanks

45. dave October 18, 2010 at 5:12 am -

So i take it when 2.2 is officially in australia i wont be able to up grade now i have do this to my phone?

Can someone else varify if they have reverted it back to 2.1

46. Mistic October 18, 2010 at 5:07 am -

I just followed the step and the update went smoothly but.. when the phone rebooted and I checked the firmware it was still Android 2.1. oh well :(

47. Marvin October 18, 2010 at 4:07 am -

I’m a mobile phone software developer.

I would advise that most users stay clear of this. I have two SGS phones. One I use everyday, the other is less than 14-days old. Per my other post, there is no work around to being able to access your phone. It will become fully locked w/o access to either recovery/download and Kies will report that this cannot be undone.

I’ll take my phone back under the 14-day exchange policy and wait for the official release. Too time consuming dealing with something that has been released as a wild fire.

For what this is worth, I’m passing it on. BTW, you’ll get a functional, non rootable Froyo but it will be locked and should something have to your phone and your have to enter recovery, you have been warned.

48. VP October 18, 2010 at 3:47 am -

I followed the steps…. this is what i got…

Firmware ver : 2.1-update 1
    Baseband ver : I9000XXJM1
    Kernel Ver : 2.6.29root@SE-S603 #2
    Build No. : ECLAIR.XWJM2

This doesn’t look like 2.2 Froyo… can any one here help???

49. Peter October 18, 2010 at 3:43 am -

Hi, did all the above, but it all ends up with 2.1 update 1 and not 2.2 … there is other people who got same problem here in Denmark. Phonesnot simlocked or anything…

Anybody have an idea what is wrong ?

All run smoothly, but update is only going 2.1 update 1 and not 2.2 :(

50. mpierce October 17, 2010 at 6:43 pm -

Upgrade went smoothly.

Everything appears to be working correctly. Task manager displaying 6 instead of 8 icons.

Major problem, phone will now not reboot in download or recovery mode.

I’ve tried everything and can not figure out a work around.

Anyone have any ideas?

51. browwiw October 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm -

I can run through the complete process, change the registry, restart the upgrade, and KIES still recognizes my phone as a Samsung Captivate. Anybody encounter this and figure out a work around?

52. envyc October 17, 2010 at 5:32 pm -

Upgrade fell over on first try – PC took too long to install bootstrap drivers. Rebooted in 3-button recovery no problem (remember that recovery is Vol-down + Home + Power).

After successful upgrade worked perfectly on a factory unlocked (Optus branded) here in Australia. Market was available on first boot. Vibrations were going off until Swype turned off. Will re-enable later. All product id info updated in registry. Great tweak – thanks.

53. Henrique October 17, 2010 at 4:05 pm -

I updated using your method and actually get major issues with MMS.
    Could you describe a reverse process back to 2.1 please?

54. happy man October 17, 2010 at 3:27 pm -

It works for me. I have market without even restarting. Im in the UK, I have an unlocked version from T mobile.

BTW Cheers!

55. t3rribl3on3 October 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm -

updated in the uk via the reg tweak and not a single problem to report. its faster than before and the pinch is great. no keyboard issues and the market worked fine straight away. Not really much lag apart from first boot after the update while it re scanned everything. All in all much better.

56. Marvin October 17, 2010 at 2:34 pm -

Phone has totally lost 3-button recovery mode!

Cannot do a root on the phone even though there is one available. Will try to revert to 2.1 and await an Australian version of Froyo.

Firmware version 2.2
    Baseband version i9000XXJPM
    Kernel version 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S608 #1
    Build number FROYO.XWJP6

I’ll try option for SDK or Clockwork to see if I can get into recovery mode.

57. Thorwald Westmaas October 17, 2010 at 1:55 pm -

ahh, and by the way, I bought my Galaxy in the Netherlands so it’s not a ‘Latin American’ version or anything like that.

T

58. Thorwald Westmaas October 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm -

It starts downloading binary files .Then, every time half way (after about 40 minutes), I get no response for server – pls. check if your internet connection is activated and try again.

Meanwhile, I can surf the Internet so my Internet connection is fine.

Other thing, possibly related: I can’t use the App store from within KIES. Says it’s not available in my country. But, when you go to the country list, Panama actually is the available list.

59. Mr Happy October 17, 2010 at 6:06 am -

@ Himanshu: Reg Hacks are “time specific”…the only way to know is when the next update comes out, as that’s when all the Android Guru’s will work to crack it. But this update came out just 2 days ago…so the next time you have to worry about this is probably another ~4-8 months from now.
    > There is no root as of yet for Froyo (JP6/JPM/JP4)
    > So, if the Gods of Mount Android are reading this, Please grace us with Root & SU-access sometime soon!!

60. Himanshu October 17, 2010 at 5:31 am -

Worked like a charm. :) No problems as of now. Market is working fine too. Great job.. thanks. :)
    Just one question.. In case Samsung releases any future updates (after Froyo), will I have to change the registry values again to get those updates in India, or will it update automatically.

61. Mr Happy October 17, 2010 at 5:27 am -

> Old PDA: JPC / PHONE: JPC / CSC: JPC (2.2 Froyo beta)
    > New PDA: JP6 / PHONE: JPM / CSC: JP4 (2.2 Froyo final release)

Thank You Sooo much for the guide P.Shmitz!
    For all those having problems, try this:

> I bought the phone on my last trip to India, and upgraded today from the USA.

> The update did not work the first time. MSC.Thunder-something (the firmware update program within Kies) kept crashing just as I clicked Upgrade.

> I uninstalled Kies, then “RE-DOWNLOADED” it (very important), then installed again. I found out that the old .exe setup file was the problem.

> I followed your steps and the reg hack, and in ~20 mins I had Froyo up and running.

>>> **No problems whatsoever!!!** I was very shocked to see this. I mean NO LAG, MARKET WORKED right off the bat, NO VIBRATING ISSUES. :S Crazy! And the speed…it’s crazy fast compared to the Froyo beta!

> Could it be that I have no issues because the phone upgraded from an already Froyo-running environment? ..I say that because NONE of my settings/apps were affected.

> Note: it also failed in my Windows XP (Virtual Machine) the first time…I got it to work on Win7.

Hope this helps! Thanks again to P.Schmitz!
    I am officially (and finally) a Samsung lover!!

62. odrikez October 17, 2010 at 1:37 am -

Read this if you want to restore the android market on your mobile without having to perform a factory reset (which will wipe out all your settings and your paid apps in the process).

With a browser on your mobile open this url :

Download and install this file manager (click on the file icon)

After launching it, in the settings, change the home directory from “/sdcard” to “/”, then go to /system/app and scroll until you find vending.apk

Install vending.apk and the android market icon will pop up once again. Note that android market will force close on the first use. After that all ok.

Way better than a factory reset.
    Tested ok on Galaxy S

Hth

63. Paul October 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm -

Hi,

I need some advice. I’m from Singapore. The update worked perfectly and after factory reset, the android market is available again.

However, I can no longer use the Mobile Network (3G) even though “Data network mode” is enabled.

Please advise.

64. Dar October 16, 2010 at 7:40 pm -

Fixed the swype problem by doing a Factory Data Reset (Volume up + Home + Power). Everything is wonderful.

65. scottty October 16, 2010 at 7:34 pm -

In my case, it works until it starts downloading binary files. Then, every time half way, after about 40 minutes (how big is this file???), I get a message:

” no response for server – pls. check if your internet connection is activated and try again”

During that time, I can surf just fine so it’s not like I lost my connection.

Help !

66. Dar October 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm -

Everything seems to work fine except the swype problem. The phone vibrates intermittently, it lags and I can’t type anything. Turning it off seems to solve this but I want swype back… Anyone have any solutions?

67. Simon Y. October 16, 2010 at 5:38 pm -

PLEASE HELP GUYS ! ! !…

i getting the message “Firmware upgrade cannot Proceed. Firmware upgrade will close”.

My phone is %100 charged and all aplications are close?!

Use an Factory Unlocked T-Online 2.1 Galaxy S

Thanks !!!

68. Joze October 16, 2010 at 5:18 pm -

Dear P.Schmitz,

I read XDA forum about this ishue:

2. My Galaxy S hangs after Boot Animation / is vibrating every few seconds. Whats wrong?
    - Goto Recovery (Volume Up + Home + Power) and do a Data/Factory Reset. Now it should start correctly.

Problem apear couse my phone doesn’t support 3 buttons to enter the recovery mode, also i can’t put it true the SDK couse USB isn’t in developmepnt mode. I was wondering if someone has any idea.

Thanx for halp

69. Goughy October 16, 2010 at 4:48 pm -

Had a go of it last night in Australia. For anyone concerned the instructions are very easy to follow if a gumby like me can do it. I had the issue with the phones lag being horrible, the regular vibrating etc. Menus took ages to open up but got into settings and set the samsung keyboard as default instead of swype. And zoom off she went. I rebooted a few times, went back in and set swype as the default a few times but the lag came back, but suddenly after about an hour or so I set swype on again and no problems at all.

For me it’s faster than 2.1 rooted and using oclf without a doubt i.e. setting widgets using desktop visualizer is much faster than in the past. Haven’t had time to test past doing that.

Great guide, and don’t forget if it lags and vibrates to try leaving samsung keyboard as default for a while then trying swype again. Worked for me. Big smiles!

70. P.Schmitz October 16, 2010 at 4:12 pm -

**newcgeoman
    Thanks for the comment and the advice, should help a lot of people out.
    **kornakmf
    Again this only works for GT-i9000. That should only be phones from Europe, Africa, Asia, and Australia. North and South America have to wait for the carrier updates.

71. P.Schmitz October 16, 2010 at 4:07 pm -

Dear Elvis,

I just updated the guide with some extra comments on the bottom. I would recommend you check out the Kies article to just back everything up, that way if you get another phone, or your phone should break, or anything else, you won’t lose your info. Hopefully that helps.

72. kornakmf October 16, 2010 at 4:06 pm -

Anyone get this working on a Vibrant with the front camera?
    I have one from Bell Canada.

Still no luck getting past the “This device’s version cannot be updated” message.
    M

73. P.Schmitz October 16, 2010 at 4:05 pm -

Dear Joze,

I would post the question to the XDA Forums or see if other people are having similar problems there. If you’re really stuck I would research a program called Odin, which allows you to flash and install a firmware on a clean slate. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help!

74. newcgeoman October 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm -

People be positive.

The first boot will be very slow.

Suggest you reboot the phone at least twice after updating.

I fixed the vibrate problem AND got Swype to work, by playing with swype input in the text message input….I turned it of and on a few times then rebooted. Swype works perfectly now.

If you can’t get swype to work and/or the phone vibrates or runs very slow…turn swype off.

I can say my phone is incredibly fast!!! I’m glad my SAMSUNG had 2.1 on first so I could get used to the speed after the iPhone :) :) 2.2 ROCKS!!!

75. elvis October 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm -

Total rubbish.. Much slower then 2.1, market is missing and all icons are gone from the homescreen. I refuse to do a factory reset just to get market back. Selling the phone if they don’t realease a fix very soon. Never will I buy anything from Samsung again, which involves softwere where it’s been devoloped by them.

76. kornakmf October 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm -

Bummer, I am not able to get the update.
    Anyone getting the following message….

Firmware Upgrade:
    Model Name: GT-I9000M
    Current Version: PDA:JF3 / PHONE:JF3 / CSC:SWC
    This device’s version cannot be updated.

Thoughts?
    M

77. fung October 16, 2010 at 3:01 pm -

sorry, me again . its work…

78. fung October 16, 2010 at 2:44 pm -

I have done everything that has been said in the instructions. But then when I click firmware upgrade it is still the same? I live in the UK. Help!!!!!

79. Joze October 16, 2010 at 2:20 pm -

I try to update I9000XXJP2-REV03-PDA-CL464213 to this one. Reason was Skype because it didn’t work on first froyo 2.2. After updating firmware phone start up show the logo and then black screen and wibrate every 5 minutes. Any suggestion?

80. Dominic October 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm -

Doesn’t matter guys, finally got it to give me the upgrade option!!! DOWNLOADING RIGHT NOW! very happy! thank youu!!

81. Dominic October 16, 2010 at 11:36 am -

Sorry, ignore my previous comment, I’ve found the Kies folder and now I have done everything that has been said in the instructions. But then when I click firmware upgrade it is still the same? It says the latest version is already installed on this device. It doesn’t say the device’s version cannot be updated. I live in the UK. Help!!!!!

82. Dominic October 16, 2010 at 11:27 am -

Hi guys, thanks for the instructions, but I can’t seem to find the Kies folder in the Registry editor! I’ve looked under the samsung folder but all it has it FUS and USB_DRIVER underneath the Samsung folder. Help please!!

83. leon October 16, 2010 at 10:34 am -

Hi dude,
    Thank you so much for this info which allowed me to update my uk I9000. i am veryvery please its finaly running froyo 2.2 after waiting forever!

Regards
    Leon

84. odrikez October 16, 2010 at 9:29 am -

Works great ! Though after reloading galaxy s remained stuck at “S” logo for a couple of ‘scary) minutes, then eventually completed boot process succesfully. Had to reset to get the market back. All fine now :-) Galaxy S Belgium

85. frank October 16, 2010 at 8:05 am -

Schmitz,(Lokhor Mickeko) thanks for this wonderful write up. Worked like a charm in India. No unnecessary vibrates or other keyboard issues. To get back market, had to reset.

86. Dr.Nezihi Y. October 16, 2010 at 7:07 am -

Hi to all,

did everything how you suggested but ended up getting a message “Firmware upgrade cannot Proceed. Firmware upgrade will close”. %100 charged and all aplications are close?!

I am using Sim Free (Factory Unlocked) T-Online 2.1 Galaxy S

Thanks for helps…

87. RabidRob October 16, 2010 at 6:16 am -

From UK here, ran the registry tweak and updated to 2.2 without any issues. The Market icon is missing for most people, a phone reset brings it back.

88. Step October 16, 2010 at 2:27 am -

thanks for the instructions, the upgrade was no problem but my market shortcut has disappeared as well.

89. Newcgeo October 16, 2010 at 2:02 am -

Hey where is my bloat ware??? Just kidding :)

I’m in Aus. I get the periodic vibrate.

Do you think we will be able to reflash with our countries roll out when it happens?

Feeling guilty now, will I have ruined my warranty??

90. Kphyre October 16, 2010 at 12:50 am -

Sorry, i meant Sayo, not Tony, in my previous comment

91. Kphyre October 16, 2010 at 12:48 am -

Hey, i just did the update and i encountered the same problem Tony. the update seemed okay, but the phone keeps vibrating periodically and lags heaps unless you disable swype, which sucks cuz its a nice thing to have. does anyone know why this is or any way to fix this? I’ve already rebooted the device a couple of times, market access seems alrite

Thanx!

92. dave October 16, 2010 at 12:30 am -

updated as shown to froyo, now laggy and keyboard not working? any ideas how to fix this problem?

93. dj brikz October 15, 2010 at 11:28 pm -

If someone dont see the android market after update even though already manually restarted the phone many times, factory reset helps me.

94. Sayo October 15, 2010 at 9:09 pm -

sooo i worked out my problem. to get to the home screen had to just click finish. i noe im an idioit! and for the non repsondin thingo the RAM usage was the problem while the non stop vibration was due to swype keybaord which i disable. so its all fine now i guess :) thank you for your guide!!

95. Sayo October 15, 2010 at 8:32 pm -

erhm so i updated it. now the stoopid galaxy s wont stop vibratin in periodic session. also i cannot go to home screen. im stuck on some page. and a message pops up saying
    “phone setup wizard not responding force quit or wait” which ever option i presse they it remains on the setup screen. :S wth did i do. can i revert my phone

From Australia

96. Tony October 15, 2010 at 6:09 pm -

I’ve got a sim free, unbranded, UK spec galaxy S i9000 and using the instructions above the phone is now upgraded to Froyo. It runs VERY slowly for the first 20-30 mins and I’m not sure why. Lots of repeated memory scans etc. Also, the music player disappears from the homescreen and you have to “re drag” it to the home screen from the apps screen.

I have gone into the market and it installed adobe flash automatically too. You do have to do a few reboots to be safe.

One final note, make sure your battery is charged beyond 70% or the above steps won’t work.

97. orishi October 15, 2010 at 5:10 pm -

Greetings from Czech Republic. Thanks for the guide. Working perfectly.

98. P.Schmitz October 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm -

Looks like dongowewey beat me to it :)

99. P.Schmitz October 15, 2010 at 3:30 pm -

Dear Jan A,

I’m glad to hear the update process went smoothly. As far as the market is concerned, I read on the forums that other people had experienced this and that a phone reboot was needed to in order to bring the market back. Let me know if that works for you and thanks for the comment!

100. dongowewey October 15, 2010 at 3:29 pm -

@michelle – reboot your phone after the upgrade. market access will be restored.

101. P.Schmitz October 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm -

Dear Michelle,

Sorry it didn’t work for you, hopefully the update swings by your way soon!

102. Jan A October 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm -

Thanks. I am in Denmark but my phone is locked to a company, so no update, untill you guys show the way;-)
    Works fine, all is as before except no android market and my desktop shortcuts are gone but all apps still there.

103. Michelle October 15, 2010 at 2:29 pm -

Did everything how you suggested but ended up getting a message “Firmware upgrade cannot Proceed. Firmware upgrade will close”

I am using a stock standard 2.1 Galaxy S in Australia.
    Oh well..