How to replace or delete 4 default icons on Galaxy S main screen

Posted on Jun 16 2010 - 5:06pm by Flux

We will be replacing "Email" in this demo. You can do the same for the "Phone" and "Browser" spots.

Customizing your phone could be found in many levels such as themes and sounds.  Most of such changes are just to make the phone more comfortable and homely.  Adding apps to make life easier is another level and this tip today will help you get to those apps easier.

1. Go to Applications Menu

Applications Menu

2. Open Option Menu and select Edit.

Selecting Edit will make most icons editable for deleting and moving.

3. Select the icon that you want to replace and drag it back into the Applications Menu.

In the "Email" example, click and drag to an arbitrary location.

4. Select the app you want to take that spot.  Drag and drop.

Gmail is taking place of "Email".

Gmail is now set.

7. Open Options Menu to click Save.

Save the settings from the Options Menu

8. Enjoy!

Good to go!

1. Sudheer reddy April 9, 2012 at 7:13 pm -

Thank u very much i am trying to change icons from last 2 months

2. CINDY October 1, 2011 at 10:21 am -

THANK YOU!!!!(:

3. Ashu March 17, 2011 at 10:29 am -

Hi All,

Am posting here for requesting a positive ans from u ppl.

I bought galaxy ace mobile last week while installing few apps through android market a new icon by mistake got added on my desktop(page 3) and in fact it was not installed properly.My concern here i am not able to delete this from my mobile home screen. Kindly suggest me on the same.

Thanks in advance,

4. Mike January 29, 2011 at 6:53 pm -

Thank you for your response I did what you suggested but the only option I have is either grid or list view, no customizble choice,should I hard reset the phones do you think? Thank you

5. P.Schmitz January 27, 2011 at 6:03 pm -

Dear Mike,

Once you go into your app drawer you should just be able to push your hardware menu button and see the option to view type, set this to customizable grid. Now push your hardware menu button again to see the edit function, once pressed you can drag any app off of the bar along the button except for the home button. Hope that helps.

6. Mike January 27, 2011 at 4:43 pm -

How do you get to the customizable grid please help me out.

7. manuel October 6, 2010 at 5:47 am -

great, thanks a lot

8. Ken October 5, 2010 at 9:53 am -

I figured it out… you have to get to Step 2. If edit is not visible, then select view type and change it to customizable grid. This will activate the edit option to let you customize the grid. When you are done, them go back to view type and select Alphabetical grid so that the grid will be sorted and empty spaces removed.

9. Ken October 5, 2010 at 9:45 am -

Hello Mike,

In step 2, I don’t have the “Edit” option. I’m using Samsung Galaxy S and running Android 2.1

10. P.Schmitz September 28, 2010 at 11:43 am -

Dear Overide,

The home icon will appear where your application icon is currently when you touch the application icon. Or as always you can push the Home button on your device. Thanks for the question.

11. overide September 27, 2010 at 1:51 am -

I wanted to replace the default messaging app with handcent. And now i have only 3 icons left. Phone/Hancent/Blank/Applications. How do i bring back the Home icon to the blank space?

12. P.Schmitz September 16, 2010 at 10:30 am -

Dear Mike,

Which phone are you using and what version of Android does it have? Thanks.

13. Mike September 16, 2010 at 3:03 am -

In step 2, I don’t have the “Edit” option. The only thing I can select is “view type”. What gives?