Enable Screen Rotation Setting on Samsung Omnia II

Posted on Jan 19 2010 - 5:00pm by mrwangkai

Screen rotation is a crucial component to touchscreen device with a relatively bigger display screen. To fully utilize the display screen without affecting work efficiency, screen rotation is important.

Everybody knows the annoying effect of screen rotation when you least wanted it to, so it’s not uncommon for users to set their screen rotation on manual. But how can you rotate your screen now?

Using a basic setting change, you can now assign screen rotation with specific direction on any of your hardware buttons.

For Samsung Omnia II, that would mean going to Settings > Personal > Button to set the option. However, for devices running on Windows Mobile 6.5, that option is not available (since it runs on Samsung’s Setting). This registry edit will guide you to display the original/default setting.

Contents:

Objective

Display/Unhide the default setting for Windows Mobile in order to access Settings > Personal > Button to set screen rotation.

Applicable Devices (Back to Top)

Windows Mobile 6.5

What you’ll need (Back to Top)

PHM Registry Editor (Download)

Registry Address (Back to Top)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Security\Shell\StartInfo\

Value Name and Data (Back to Top)

Value Name: HideSettings
Value: Change to ’0′

Screenshots (Back to Top)

Now that the default Settings options are back, you can head over to Personal > Button and assign one of the 2 hardware buttons to the screen rotation action.

If you are not feeling generous with all the registry edits, there is also a cab file available that you can install to the same effect. You do need to login to HDblog.it‘s forum to download the cab.

1. Brian Mills December 27, 2010 at 9:48 pm -

These still do not work for Bell i8000 Omnia 2 with 6.5

2. TRINO-! December 1, 2010 at 10:28 am -

if it doesn’t do it automatically after uved chaned the registry do you need to restart ur phone so that the new registry options go into effect?

3. bat787 September 7, 2010 at 3:39 pm -

didn’t work on my i8000/wm6.5 even after modifing both reg keys !!

4. Fabrizio August 19, 2010 at 2:11 am -

Thanks a lot, had to fiddle a bit with both registry settings, but I can finally rotate my phone’s screen when using the navigation program!

5. Dr_Bunsen August 18, 2010 at 12:48 pm -

If no rotation option appears in the assign button dialogue, most likely you have WM6.5 ROM and you will also need to make the following change (also remember to reset or switch off/on your phone to establish registry changes):

HKLM\System\GDI\Rotation\HideOrientationUI and change the value from 1 to 0

6. mingie July 26, 2010 at 7:07 am -

Got it on configuring manual rotation using buttons but how to enable autorotation? I’ve searched high and low for it but can’t find it anywhere. Any clues?

7. fortify July 25, 2010 at 6:18 am -

This works great. I saw this on another site as well.I’m using the manual rotation.
    Question I have is if you use the cab method (non registry)I would assume that would take up a t of memory.
    Any thoughts?

8. ruthe July 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm -

Thanks for posting these simple instructions!! I found how to disable the autorotation but was stuck on assigning manual rotation to a button because I couldn’t find the winmo settings. BTW I have the i920 and these instructions worked perfectly — I just had to restart the phone after the edit for the grey wheel to show up

9. Bunybuny B April 12, 2010 at 10:07 pm -

I had hard rest my samsung omnia ii trying to clear from scratch and now i cant get that screen how you have it set up for all your icons. I tried doing the regedit for showing the settings folder as you have shown here but i cant get it back. Please help. Is this an application on my phone im missing?

10. hammer February 9, 2010 at 11:33 am -

OK, I now see that the registry change adds the option of using the gray (microsoft) settings wheel. but neither the blue nor gray settings wheel give me an option for screen rotation in section where you set button function? I guess this does not work on sch-i920?

11. hammer February 8, 2010 at 1:36 pm -

rotate left or rotate right are not options, even after registry change.

12. mrwangkai February 8, 2010 at 1:28 pm -

The same button option (to assign rotation) seems to be available on Samsung’s Settings page too. Try going to Start > Settings (Samsung’s default) > General Settings > Button > Assign a program and try to assign the rotate left/right as one of the buttons.

13. hammer February 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm -

does not appear to do anything on verizon wireless sch-i920 omnia2. after making registry change and going to “general settings” “buttons” “assign and program” there is no option for rotation. am I doing something wrong or does it just not work for sch-i920. i did shut phone off and back on to verify the reg change was accepted and it was.