Bluetooth Icon Patch for Samsung Windows Mobile PPCs

Posted on Apr 17 2009 - 9:36am by mrwangkai
Bluetooth Icon
Version: 0.4 (updated Apr.23.2009)
Cost: Free
CareAce (Developer Info)
[ratings]
Updated 5/11/2009:
In response to some users’ call for VGA version of the patch, we are releasing an updated version of the Bluetooth Icon Patch with added compatibility with VGA screens. The download below has been updated accordingly.

Users of Samsung Windows Mobile PocketPCs may have yet to see the Bluetooth icon appear on the task bar when Bluetooth is activated on the device. For some reason, this issue is only limited to Samsung PocketPCs and not the smartphones.

And for that, we have decided to develop a patch to display the Bluetooth icon when Bluetooth is activated. On top of that, we have also included the icon for when the Bluetooth transmission is visible or not by utilizing the letter v right next to the Bluetooth icon.

The video below shows the patch at work. Give it a try and let us know how you like it!

Installation

Simply download the .cab file and install it onto your Samsung WM PocketPC. Then proceed to perform a soft reset in order for the patch to work after the installation.

Features

• Bluetooth icon will be displayed on the taskbar when turned on
  • A little ‘v‘ right next to the Bluetooth icons indicates the signal is visible to others (you can certainly turn it off too)
  • You can turn off the Bluetooth by tapping on the icon on taskbar

Screenshots

Bluetooth icon visible Bluetooth icon invisible
Visible and Not visible: The 2 states of Bluetooth transmission as shown on the PocketPCs taskbar.

Video

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGXSWD8h-Jk

Min Req: Windows Mobile 5 and 6
Device Tested: Samsung Omnia
Samsung Epix
Price: Freeware
Ratings [ratings]
Target Audience: Samsung PocketPC users who are looking for visible icon to show the state of Bluetooth transmission.

[download id=”1″]

Microsoft Tag for Mobile D9ownload (?)

1. Davey101 September 13, 2011 at 1:23 pm -

@arrassan

I can’t see a way to download it from this website right now either. It can also be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=2755643&postcount=2

2. arrassan August 25, 2011 at 10:31 am -

Hello!
    How to download this patch from this website?
    [download id=”1″] – what it means?

3. vallinadh August 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm -

i bought a new dell inspiron 15R.it is not displaying bluetooth icon on taskbar when turned on.can you please tell me some suggestions how to get rid of this problem

4. silver haze seeds May 16, 2011 at 8:35 pm -

Attractive section of content. I just stumbled upon your blog and in accession capital to assert that I acquire actually enjoyed account your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feeds and even I achievement you access consistently fast.

5. oky July 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm -

thats so so so awesome……. i like it very much…

6. wij July 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm -

hmm.. it looks amazing..
    thanks for application..

7. roy July 17, 2010 at 6:53 am -

that’s very wonderfull. aku pengen punya jadinya…

8. arieff June 22, 2010 at 10:35 pm -

Is possible to change the Bluetooth icons???Where is the file (inside of pda) for to find that?

9. Simone January 31, 2010 at 2:43 am -

Hello,
    could you add support for wm 6.5.x too? the taskbar is ok, but the PopUp big icon for bluetooth is not working properly

thanks

10. Anonymous January 1, 2010 at 3:54 am -

Hello,

Thank you, this is great ! My battery thanks you.

Is it possible to set strings as resources (“would you like to…”, “yes”, “no”) ? That would allow translations.

11. Som November 17, 2009 at 7:44 pm -

Nice application.
    I have a question regarding blue tooth. Is there anyway, the user can have total control on what files he send and receive by blue tooth. My phone is Omnia 2 , and I feel there is a big security flaw while sharing files between phones via blue tooth. Any software available for this.?.Thx

12. mrwangkai October 11, 2009 at 9:54 pm -

@Tobey, glad you liked it. :)

13. Tobey October 11, 2009 at 9:56 am -

Very, very, very AWESOME…. writing in hurry… THANK YOU !!!!

14. mrwangkai September 16, 2009 at 10:13 am -

Sweet. Good to hear. :)

15. florio1960 September 16, 2009 at 9:52 am -

Hi, i have an HTC Touch HD and because of the Phonex software, which replaced the standard dialer, i have lost my bluetooth icon. With your patch the icon is back again. Thanks !

16. ciberg September 13, 2009 at 11:26 am -

Hi, I have a HTYC Tytn and I was looking for something like this since I bought it 2 years ago.

In the factory ROM the bluetooth icon is missing from HTC Tytn and now I have it thanks to you.

17. Hoffman07052 July 24, 2009 at 2:36 am -

Thanks. I would have thought this would be a part of the recent ROM update for the Omnia i910. Makes me happy to not waste power forgetting to turn off bluetooth. It’s the little things that make me happy.

18. reddwarf July 22, 2009 at 11:54 am -

Great little app’ this. This eliminates one of the few omnia flaws. Thanks

19. hansoo July 20, 2009 at 11:54 am -

@Mike, Did you install Verizon new Omnia ROM? It is supposed to work on even new Verizon Omnia Rom.

20. Mike July 17, 2009 at 7:16 pm -

I just updated the firmware on my Omnia and this program doesn’t seem to work anymore. When I installed it, I did a soft reset and enabled Bluetooth. The Icon never appeared. I went to the bluetooth settings and noticed turning it on was sticking because it wasn’t checked. I checked it again to turn it on and the icon still didn’t show. It seems the program prevents the turning on of bluetooth to stick. After I uninstalled the program, my bluetooth would stay on but no icon would be shown.

21. aluke June 13, 2009 at 3:38 pm -

22. mrwangkai May 18, 2009 at 8:04 pm -

@Steve, glad you liked it. :)

23. Steve May 18, 2009 at 7:26 pm -

I have been so frustrated by not having this Bluetooth indicator on my taskbar. You brought a smile to my face, and happiness to my heart! Wonderful freeware!!

24. Larry May 17, 2009 at 4:39 pm -

Works well on the HTC touch pro too, again, if you’ve disabled HTC’s laggy, memory hog dialer and use WM’s default one.

25. dsixda May 12, 2009 at 5:15 am -

Works great!! Thank you!

26. mrwangkai May 11, 2009 at 6:16 pm -

@DSIXDA, we’ve just updated the patch to work with VGA screen without the blocky feeling. We’ve also tested the new release with a HTC Diamond and it works fine. Give it a try and let us know if it worked for you. :)

27. dsixda May 9, 2009 at 7:40 pm -

Hi, I’m from the HTC camp as well, having seen Davey101’s thread at xda-developers.com

May I suggest you make a version with the following bluetooth icon instead; it’s the same thing but less blocky:

I think it’s the one that shows up in the System Status screen.

I tried to add it to the .exe file with a resource editor, but the Diamond wouldn’t execute the exe anymore because it had to be signed or something like that.

28. mrwangkai May 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm -

Ah, i see! Glad we could help out the HTC users. :D

29. Davey101 May 4, 2009 at 2:44 pm -

No problem. :)

I don’t think I made myself clear enough though… Some of us Diamond users have disabled HTC’s dialer software to conserve memory, which works fine except for a couple of minor issues. One of those is that the Bluetooth icon goes AWOL — but this app fills the gap nicely. Thanks again.

30. mrwangkai May 4, 2009 at 2:34 pm -

@Davey101, thanks for the input. :) That is correct, HTC does have the Bluetooth icon by default. Currently the issue is only with Samsung PocketPCs (Omnia and Epix) which for some reason doesn’t display a Bluetooth icon when the feature is turned on.

31. Davey101 May 4, 2009 at 2:25 pm -

Thanks for this app! It’s also working fine on the HTC Touch Diamond, although the icons look a little blocky on a VGA screen! :)

It’s only useful on the Diamond when the HTC dialer is disabled in favour of the standard MS WM6.1 dialer… The HTC dialer seems to supply the normal bluetooth icons.

32. MobileSpoon May 4, 2009 at 1:16 pm -

Wow!
    Great stuff – thanks for making it a freeware.

Too bad I missed it in my 10 tips for true happiness with Samsung omnia:

33. mrwangkai April 23, 2009 at 3:57 pm -

@00edu, thank you for your interest! The patch consumes very limited amount of memory or power. It should be barely noticeable. Unfortunately we are not at a stage of releasing the source code.

34. 000edu April 23, 2009 at 11:14 am -

Fantastic app!

Just 2 question:

1 – Does it consume a lot?
    2 – Could you publish the source code?

Thanks in advance

Greeting, 000edu

35. mrwangkai April 21, 2009 at 10:36 am -

We’re glad its useful for many. If you have any feedback, do feel free to contact us! :)

36. Michael April 18, 2009 at 5:01 am -